Which is more winter hearty?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mailman, Jan 25, 2005.

1. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

Hello, I was hoping someone could help. My question is: which will tolerate EXTREME cold winters better: Dorper sheep or Boer Goats? I live on a mountain in Upstate Vermont near the Canadian border. It is not uncommon for some nights (or days) to have temperatures of minus 20 degrees (f). Any help would be greatly appreciated.....Dennis ( mailman@countrybuck.com ).

2. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I would think sheep would be able to stay warmer due to the heavy fur. I have boer goats here in Tennessee and I can tell you that last weekend was in the teens and single digits. My females who are all pregnant enjoyed the cold weather, but I noticed that my bucks were shivering (hind legs) when they stayed too long outside of the barn.

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

I know nothing about sheep but we keep pure breed Nubians, Saanans and some crosses and they tollerate the Dakota's just fine. Our lowest low this year has been:

Static: -35

Wind Chill: -55

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Can't say I know much about either, they are both South African in origin. The climate might make a difference.
    I have Toggenburg goats (Swiss origin) and a Scottish Blackface cross sheep. The goats start shivering at -20, the sheep didn't even notice -34.