Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I sort through the breeders I want to keep
over winter and others for the freezer I keep 5 pens.

Pheasants : trio or 4 hens with one cock

Geese: 3 probably, maybe 4. I keep these with a few ducks
They grew up together. Small shelter.

Chickens: in the barn australorp egg layers 15
In a large pen 10 hens , couple breeder roosters

Ducks: I would like to keep about 10 of the best marked
Blue swedes and 3 drakes. 4 black swede ducks.
4 Pekin ducks, 2 of the biggest white drakes
3 welsh harlequin ducks, 2 drakes

Chukar Partridge: all the females (about 7 from what I guess)
With 3 males

If all goes well with this I should have plenty choice hatching
Eggs come spring.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Almost all of my birds are young. I have one older hen that has a free pass since she's one of my original birds, ditto for the rooster. And I have 2 hens that are the only broodies I have, so they get a free pass. I have one young rooster I'm keeping, plus all my pullets. I have 5 young roosters that will be heading to freezer camp, and 3 other chicks that I'm not sure yet what they are.

My chickens are at the farm where I have my horses. I've been wanting to bring a couple home to take care of bugs in my garden, etc. I have 4 older hens, so for now, they're at home. But this is the last winter I'm keeping them. I'm not wanting to keep hens past 3 years.

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
24 laying hens... for tick eating and eggs
3 turkeys... they keep poisonous snakes away
11 bantams, which include 3 roosters... these are all just because I love d'Uccles. And they eat the aggressive red hornets in the horses run in shed.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I am keeping them all!!! Some will stay outside and some will stay in the freezer.

I have about 75 broilers still to send to freezer camp. Then I have 3 tractors with about 12 each in them I will be keeping and about 100 laying hens that will be staying over free ranging after the pigs, then into the coops at night. I need to make a few more shelters for the tractor chicken's, but I think I am in pretty good shape overall. I do need to make some different arrangements for water this winter. My pvc waterers will all have to be drained, so they do not freeze and bust.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Not sure that turkeys would have any bearing on poisonous snakes whatsoever, but whatever makes you happy! True, they will make quite a fuss and annoyance if they come upon a snake in the open, but seeing as how snakes are nocturnal, and turkeys are not, and that snakes like to find cover where turkeys or other potential predators can't get to them, eliminating hiding places will do more good than turkeys or guineas.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
I have been thinking about getting some more chicks before it gets really cold but I will likely wait till spring and just concentrate on getting the fruit trees pruned to shape, the garden ready and the goats need a bath....do goats even get bathed?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have 40-50 hens and 4 roosters. I will need some new blood in the spring.
Thirty turkeys (I don't know why). Ten toms will be going to sale or butcher this month.
Eight guineas. My friend hatched 10 for me and two got eaten. I don't know why, but I love them even though they're loud, loud and loud! I love watching them run around like crazy things, chasing and eating bugs, chasing the hose end when I reel it in, and all other things goofy. I may get a few more in the Spring---I don't know why!:smack

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
2014-03-15 10.46.23.jpg
For Muleman. Winter watering arrangement. 4 roofing nails, 1/4 old tire, 2 sticks of firewood. You will need a grinder to cut the tire, and yes it stinks. Make several. When they are full of ice you can whack the bottom with the backside of an axe, run over with a tractor, drop from the top of the barn etc. Turn them over in summer, when not in use, unless you use mosquitos as part of the forage base for your poultry.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
BB, thanks for the picture and the idea. I have never seen that before, but I will sure be seeing about making some. Maybe I can get my wife to start on them, she is not really doing anything now anyway, just cleaning the house and washing some cloths. I would, but I am kinda busy, still got a few more threads I want to read!!!

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
I have five 2.5yo hens and three 1.5yo hens, left from my first flock I got last fall, and six pullets and my keeper welsummer cockerel hatched/purchased this spring.

All the pullets are laying. Some of the older birds are still laying, some are not, some are molting. Planned to harvest the oldest 5 but 2 of them are still laying 3-4 huge eggs a week. I have room to house all of them so will decide as we go along, too many fall chores to get done before the freeze and I don't yet have the harvest equipment I need....I'm getting enough eggs to pay for all the feed, so time will tell, but I expect that a few of the older ones will join me at dinner over the winter.

·
Registered
841 Posts
all my girls are overwintering with me (all i have at the moment is a laying flock) so 7 road island reds and 7 wyandotte + one One mix breed Bantam roster named Napoleon

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
This year will be the first that we are paring down HARD for winter.
In the past we have kept over 300 birds. Nope. Nope. Nope.

We are slowly butchering all but a dozen of the young ones that we will keep for eggs.
And we sold off our turkey poult business this spring and have gotten rid of the 100+ Muscoveys over the past year.

We are going to try the novelty of a winter with quickly done barn chores.
I think it will be glorious!

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts
I'm paring down to 7 black copper marans and 2 BCM x australorp for my main layers, 3 splash silkies, and 5 seramas. Each breed has 1 roo. I still have some broilers to butcher tomorrow and I might keep 2 pullets back to breed to the marans.​

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
28 layers, two roos - one grown and a good working roo and the other coming along behind for succession planning. 16 new pullets growing in the brooder box - about 3 weeks old- again, succession planning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts