Which homestead and why?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nodak3, Jun 9, 2005.

1. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Colorado, the term "homesteader" can have two VERY different meanings. Meaning 1: Someone who lives off grid, heating with wood and using kerosene lanterns, composting toilet, very little use of modern technology. (No tv, clothes washer or dryer,dishwasher, computer, etc). Grows own food in a traditional garden. Has very little money, is ok with that, drives a beater, lives and loves a camping out lifestyle in teepee, cabin, rv, or small house. Meaning 2: Someone who lives off grid with wind or solar voltaic, excellent engineering in passive solar in a large home, extremely energy efficient appliances allow them to enjoy all the amenities and stay off grid. Grows on food in a solar greenhouse pretty much year around, eliminating need to can/freeze/dry. May have a lot of money, or may have spent most of it on the homestead, and is ok with that either way, drives a hybrid, lives and loves the traditional american lifestyle without being a high drain on the environment.

My question to you is this: money issues aside, just looking at the lifestyles, which would you prefer? From what I can see, neither is worse for the environment or economy. It appears to come down to just doing what you love. DH and I don't quite do either. Money wise we could manage style one, but would prefer style two. Some friends of ours see it exactly opposite. There is such diversity on this forum, thought I'd have some fun and see where ya'll would homestead in my fantasy land of money don't count.

2. cookiecache

cookiecache Well-Known Member

I started out trying to match your meaning #2, But the high cost of bush living made me close to #1. ie....It didn't take long living in the bush for me to become poor.

Do you know when the last Colorado land was offered for homesteads? Just wondering.

3. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Haven't a clue, but I've only lived here a year. I ask this question because I think most of the answers to the world's problems will come from the choices of the average person. We can choose to "go backwards" and that might be the best choice. Or we can choose to pursue the high tech way to go. And that might be the best. I'm trying to get a feel for which holds the most appeal to people.

4. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

I think realistically, the former is probably more practical, since most people are not rich, and the latter is probably not open to them. I think I would choose a midpoint, personally speaking - I'd like the hybrid and the solar system, but would make it a small one and eliminate most of the appliances. I'd love the greenhouse, but I like canned and dried food too. And I'd miss my kerosene now and then.

I think if you are preparing for a hard future, or money is a struggle, trying to achieve the latter will make you crazy. If you've got the cash, however, better the latter than the American consumptive dream, although I do think there's a danger to living too close to the consumer world - the idea we can have it all as long as its environmental drain isn't too great to me ignores the fact that when you have the high mileage car you tend to drive it, and when you have the freezer, you use it, etc... It fosters both dependence and a closeness to the consumer world that doesn't personally appeal to me, anyhow.

Sharon

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

money is just another tool of the bartering for existance trade..... try paying your electric bill with goats milk and you soon find there isnt a very easy way to mail to the electric company, however milk those goats, sell the milk to the nieghbors for FRAUDs [Federal Reserve Accounting Unit Denominations] and then barter those to the electric company and they mail a whole lot easier..... or any utility for that matter....

Tools like medium of exchanges came about when the need for carrying larger amounts of the tool than was practical. Living frugally will only get some people ticked off at you cause you wont buy into the system of "keeping up with the joneses" cause you wont play fair. But then you would too be keeping with Almighty Gods laws of not being vain by caring what other people think.... double edge sword... or not depending upon your belief in Almighty God. Which would then also go hand in hand of being a good stewart of the land by being frugal and living off grid.... not over using the resources of the earth.

My personal choice would be living off grid, with enough amenities to make my wife and kids comfortable.... I did so for a few months in Colorado a fews back..... was the nicest time i ever had... but i was single then too.

William