Which dog food?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Caitedid, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

Well, getting Lola on Wednesday, and really confused about what to feed her. Starting out with Purina One puppy chow, which is what the vet recommended. It's pretty expensive, but I guess while she's still small she won't eat that much. After that though, what would y'all suggest? She's a boxer/red heeler cross, so we're looking at a final weight btw. 45-60 #. Where is the cutoff for feeding large breed food? Any recommendations or suggestions? We can get most American brands here, as well as raw scrap meat. Caite

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

Raw has been the best for me. Purina has a corn base. Lots of waste. In my case the raw diet has shown to be more healthy, less waste to clean up, no dog odors. Also does not cost really that much and is easy.

3. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I would suggest any type of dog food that does not contain corn. Corn is used as a filler and is not something that pups would normally eat. (Someone once told me that you would never find a pack of wild dogs chowing down in a corn field. :rolleyes: )

We feed Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul , but I think your pup will do well on any food you choose that does not contain corn as the first, second, or third ingredient. Good Luck! :)

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I beg to differ on the corn :) but only jokingly so. I switched to lamb and rice after the Diamond fiasco but my dogs sneak up to the livestock to eat their grains, corn especially :rolleyes:

Large breed foods are for dogs generally over 60 pounds or so the bags state. I would also look for something without corn- there is barley, oatmeal, or rice as a cereal grain. Generally, the first ingredient should be meat and the next five should not be all grain but a mixture of meat and grain type or else you will be giving your pup mostly grains, which imo, is not a good carnivore diet. Soy ingredients should be avoided. I read that most dogs are allergic to soy. Raw is a good diet if you have the time and space. Supplementing with raw meat scraps is also good but avoid throwing the nutritional balance of the food out of whack with too many supplements or treats. Best wishes with your new pup :)

5. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

We won't feed Purina. We had 2 Schnuazers. Both were very ill till we changed from Purina feed. They had skin problems, throwing up ect. Now if it had been 1 of them I could have blamed it on a sensitive dog, but both dogs were not doing well on it.
    Now we feed Pedigree. I have found if i feed Pedigree with some veggies and fish my dogs do pretty well.
    I also feed some table scraps (mostley home canned organic veggies). There is no salt added to my canned goods, so I don't worry about that.
    When i got my newest dog the rescue place gave me bags of Science Diet puppy Chow. None of my dogs would eat it.

6. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Too funny! :)

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd agree on avoiding anything with corn in it. A meat based food is much better. You can feed your puppy half of a good food as you would Purina. Max Nutro Natural is good, so is Canidae and many others. They cost much more, but your pup eats much less (and less poop, and better breath, and nicer coat). Get good chewing bones from your butcher or scrap place and give your puppy bones to chew on, sized to the puppy. The bones satisfy chewing better than rawhide or other chew toys. And, for some reason, they help to set the teeth.

8. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

To me, Canidae is the best for someone on a tight budget. I would not feed anything less quality than Canidae. They do use only human grade ingredients but don't have a lot of extras that some of the best foods have. I still think of it as a quality food. I feed my girl Nature's Variety Raw Instinct currently and she is doing wonderful on it. I have fed Innova and Timberwolf Organics in the past and love them also.

RAW is a great option also!

You might save a few dollars a bag by buying cheap food but I think you pay for it in the long run.

9. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

you cant go wrong with purina puppy chow...but dont feed the regular dog chow.its a bunch of ...stuff...i was involved with purina at a university study and i got to feed pro plan performance.it is some of the best dog food in the world.no mess to clean up ,you can clean kennel with a golf club....lol.i use to have a pack of dogs.their coats changed color and all my females came in heat when i started feeding it after a month.feeding a high end dog food is cheaper in long run.hope you find what you looking for and good luck with new dog...later..barry

10. Old Dog

Old Dog Active Member

I use Purina ONE at the house and my kennel, either Lamb and rice or Chicken and Rice. Good food and not that bad cleanup. I have 9 of my own from 8# Min Pin To a 81# Airedale no problems with ONE. :hobbyhors

11. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Here's a link to the Whole Dog Journal's annual rating of dog foods.
    HTML:
    http://www.oes.org/page2/1342~Dog_Food_--_Whole_Dog_Journal.html
    I remember recently reading a version of this where the 'regular' pro plan was not rated well, but that the pro plan turkey and barley was.

12. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

Unfortunately, I have not seen any of the foods that Whole Dog Journal recommends for sale here. Hmm, guess I'll ask the vet on Thursday. Caite

13. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

The best foods are not always readily available locally. I order my dogs food off of the internet.

Here is a website with tons of information to help you select a good food.
    http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/

14. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

15. clamjane

clamjane Well-Known Member

I just found a pretty good site on raw dog food. You can read it on line for free or donate and download it. I am getting a Black Mouth Cur sometime this summer and have been lurking on this thread especially when the topic of the best dog food subject comes up. www.pet-grub.com

16. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

a black mouth cur...those can be great dogs.you going to hunt it?or for a homestead dog...like old yeller?they kill groundhogs,tree coons and will bay wild boar.they are tough.while i was feeding pro plan performance my dogs just got better and better.recovered from foot sprains and other dings you get while running the brush.my dogs just plain out performed all my buddys.but it is expensive.i have fed some other foods that are very good but when i needed the high octane i stayed with performance .they also have the new performance bars.i talked with resercher while he was working on them.they are out now.and if you run dogs alot you give this to dog right after exercise and it charges his batteries better than if you wait several hours to feed.even if you fed performance dog food.the first half hour after a dog exercises is the time he gets most of his recharge for next day.its hard to believe but i tried my own concotion while waiting on performance bars and it helped alot.hope you have fun with your cur...........

by the way sled dogs consume 50% protein while working.if i remeber correct this cannot be duplicated in dog food.they feed pure salmon.a human can run amile in 4 minutes.dogs run a short race of 20 miles that all 20 miles are 4 minute miles.sorry to blab on but i have had a lot of dogs and experience with them...........

17. clamjane

clamjane Well-Known Member

Hi Elkhound, I joined a dog search and rescue unit and am going to train my Black Mouth Cur for service. I don't know if anyone has tried it before. (Caitedid, please excuse the momentary hijack of your thread)

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link NCGirl. I wish the livstock industry had some people pushing health to the feed producers. You can still find ethoxyquin and BHA/T in many, many cattle, goat, and horse feeds that are supposedly "good."

19. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/the_corn_myth.htm

"First, corn is one of the best natural sources of coat and skin conditioners like Omega 6. It has an overall digestibility is 90% and carbohydrate digestibility is 99%. In the instance of Eagle Dog Foods use of whole corn, Eagle grinds whole corn fresh for their products and they do not use any genetically engineered corn. It is bought from local farmers and no pesticides are applied from the day the seed is planted until the corn is picked. High quality whole corn is an excellent carbohydrate that is "used" as a carbohydrate source, not counted as protein source and it is not listed first on the ingredient panel. The fact is, legitimate research shows whole corn, to be considered very low on the list of foods that cause allergic reactions."

Corn is getting a really bad rap but really shouldn't. However, if you can buy the food in a grocery store, chances are that it isn't a good food and is using corn as a protien source. Also, if the protien source is meal anything and it's not from organ meat then it's also not a food that the canine digestive system can use efficiently. Now I know people have fed low grade foods for years and say their dogs do wonderfully on them...I also know people who eat nothing but fast food and say they are healthy. Are they? No. Just because they aren't laying in the hospital with tubes in every orafice, they think they're healthy. It's the same premise.

20. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I agree that corn in and of itself is not that bad. I still don't feed it because the best foods don't have it. Eagle Pack does use it, however Eagle Packs "Holistic Select" don't have it.

I like foods that use Only Human Grade ingredients. I also don't like any food that uses by-products. Not that by-products are inherently bad.... but a company that uses them are just in general are not using the best quality ingredients.

We have 10+ hard working (mentally and physically stressed) dogs at our house and in the past 12 years have had a couple of dozen litters of pups. We HAVE tried some of the less expensive foods such as ProPlan Preformance. We were once given 2000 pounds of it by a client who was a Purina Rep. (and it was not out of date or old food, it was straight off the line) We ended up donating it to the local ASPCA after a couple of months as our dogs had started going downhill on it. I think ProPlan performance is an OK food and most dogs will do fine on it. However, if you feed a really top quality food and see how the dogs do on it, it is very hard to ever go back to just an ok food.

Our dog food bill runs an ungodly amount :rolleyes: but our vet bills are very very low. In the long run I really really really believe that if you spend a little extra on quality food you will save by having healthier dogs.