which determinate tomato is the sweetest?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Terri, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I REALLY need to do more of my gardening in the spring and less during the heat of summer!

So, since determinate tomatos yield earlier than indeterminate ones, I thought that I would give them a try. The thing is, I have never grown them.

I know that some folks like home grown tomatos because they have more tomato taste than supermarket 'maters, but I like home-raised because they are SWEETER! :sing: But, not all varieties are equal, and I have no idea which ones are the sweetest.

Any advice? :D

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

That's hard to determinate. Generally speaking, they have smaller fruits, and that usually translates to better flavor.(flavoured if you are irish) Why not grow several varieties? Ortho puts out a whole series of books about things like landscaping and herbs and trees etc. They are mostly worthless, however they have one called, All About Tomatoes, and it is excellent and the best book they put out. They list hundreds of cultivars and describe each one with tons of photos.

3. Terri

Well, according to many books/magazine articles, EVERY back yard tomato is tasty. In reality, many varieties taste like crunchy water. So I thought I would ask a few consumers of tomatos, instead of a few producers of books! ;)

4. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Well, I assume you were looking for regular sized tomatoes, so this may not help you, but we grew a patio tomato last year that was the sweetest I ever tasted. It's called Lucky Leprechaun, and grew only about 1.5' tall, but produced little tomatoes abundantly all summer long. The fruit was just a bit bigger than a golf ball. Great for salads and just munching. I got it at a local farmer's market, but I think I've seen them in an online search, too. If you wanted just a few seeds, I could send you some--I really should've saved more! I plan on growing a bunch of these out and giving them as potted plant gifts to friends.

I'm looking forward to hear what others say. I like sweet tomatoes better than really "tomato-y" ones, too. I tried Brandywines last year, and they tasted a bit too much like tomato soup for my liking.

5. Terri

I will remember the name, and thank you!

However, the determinate tomatos that do NOT produce all summer long are a month earlier to ripen, and so I am wanting to plant those as well.

Any other yummy tomatos (esp. determinate) out there? :D

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Dona Hybrid,yum. We always look forward to them and save for fresh eating and BLT's. DEE

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Taste also depends on your soil. A variety that's delicious from one end of the row might be disappointing at the other end. I think it's fun to experiment. How about growing one or two plants of many varieties and do some taste testing? Seeds are cheap enough.