Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an interim used computer that will get me by for about six-eight months while I save up for a new one. Any thoughts on which is a better buy - Dell Optiplex GX110 , Windows XP Home or Dell L1000r Windows XP Pro? The former has 512RAM while the latter has 256, although the L1000 is 1GHZ while the Optiplex is 866. Both same price, same age. I don't need a whole lot of space/memory for my basic needs.

·
Rockin In The Free World
1,058 Posts
I'd choose the one with 512mb.

With that being said, if you could hold off a bit longer and purchase an off-lease system in the $135 range, you'd probably get a system that you wouldn't need to replace soon - something like a P4 2.8ghz which uses DDR2 memory - a Dell GX280 is a system which comes to mind, and is widely available off-lease for very low money.

Both systems you've mentioned are quite old - and at that age, lots of parts could fail at anytime - the power supply, hard drives, fans, etc.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the insight. I would not have thought of off lease computers. Just that I doubt this present one will hold off much longer - it's really crawling and old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts