Which cheap tractor ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tsdave, Mar 7, 2005.

1. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Hi,

Im looking at buy a tractor for a large garden/sloped field mowing duties.

Locally ive found a farmall cub with a belly mower and a plow for $975 but the pto engage lever doesnt work and is locked in gear also it runs a little rough.

Also ive found a better looking cub, with no implements, for $900 but the guy said it had a cracked head, the guy said he would guarntee it to start and drive off the place, but we flooded it before i got it started.

Also I found a cub lo-boy 154 with hydrolic lift for a 3 blade deck , but no other implements. Barely turned over, but started right off. Drove fine but had loud gear whine. ( this is the one im leaning for ) for $1400

I also found a couple John Deere B's narrow front , for $1300. (dont really want narrow)

I think i like the 154 but am worried about finding a sickle mower for it, im not sure the regular cubs would fit it, ????? also would a regular cub plow fit it ?

Im looking for any info/insight , thanks in advance .

2. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

First off define large? How big of a garden, some would think a 20x20ft is large, other large is an acre. How big of a field do you need to mow, how often and why type of grass/brush is growing on it? Also how much of a slope do you have?

Have you checked around for any farm auctions. We just had a winter auction and had several of the cubs and low boys as well as misc compacts. All under $2k. All usable as is. You might also check around (call your local ag dept) for an
    antique tractor club. They might know of some low cost tractors and may be able help you with inspections of ones you might get.

Sounds like both cubs will need a lot of work, skip those. THe low boy is also a nice tractor if it works. But again how much you going toput into replacing the gears. The JD B is a nice tractor but narrow and sloped land doesnt sound good match.

As I noted in the other posting $1500 is not much for a tractor. Have you considered saving it? Depending on how much mowing and how often you need to mow, you can hire out the work for a few hundred dollars and save the rest to add to your tractor fund.

3. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Well, its the garden is really a corn patch for some pigs. This year anyway, about 1 to 1.5 acres. The slope is moderate, only want to mow up and down, with several flat spots (top and bottom). The mowing acreage is about 5 total.

Im leaning tword the $975 cub now, being ive been searching, and the pto seems to be simple in a cub, and the implements wont interchange between the two.

Im not looking for a more expensive option yet.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

tsdave
    I have a cub and at best it is a cultivation tractor. They are badly underpowered.

5. Kadiddylak

Kadiddylak Member

I dont know how much you want to spend but ,the best thing i ever bought was a Yanmar diesel. Mine is small 1401 which is 19hp and will work harder than my old 9N ford would.and its 4x4. I bought mine for 1600.00
    It has a category I hitch and will work with most implements. I mow with a 5ft finish cutter and have a 4ft box blade also. You will wear out ten lawn tractors before these things get tired. If you can save your money and buy a import tractor. you will be better off in the long run. Also yanmars are the japaneze version of a Johndeere same tractor. None of the compact american tractors are made here anymore there all japaneze made.They just change the name.

6. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

well i got the cub+mower+plow for 975, changed the plugs and now it runs nice, but does smoke a bit. But that shouldnt be a problem for my uses. The PTO lever will engage the pto but not disengage it right away, takes a while, so i think its just a pin or something. Also the brakes need replacing.

And dont you just know it, i saw one for sale a day or two later with a side sickle mower, like i had been wanting. I might go look at it.

BTW , Kadiddylak where did you get that ? Dealer , person to person ?

Also the mower is a single blade, built like a bush hog.

I believe it has the mount for a front blade also, i intend to find one, or make one. Just today i thought how easy it would make pushing brush into a ditch ....

7. Kadiddylak

Kadiddylak Member

I bought mine from a local newspaper . Just keep your eye open and one will pop up , BTw spring is a bad time to buy a tractor. well it is around here anyways. If your looking to trade up do what i did and what i plan on doing again . I bought my first tractor 9N in really bad shape for cheap.kept it for a few years and fixed it up , Sold it made a profit saved some cash , Bought my first Yanmar fixing it up , like paint ,just cosmetic. Im about to sell it and trade up to bigger Yanmar with a loader .

8. norris

norris Well-Known Member

A word to the wise...

Anyone buying an old tractor with a gasoline engine should be aware that those engines all had cast iron valve seats designed to run on leaded gasoline. Many of the used ones are likely in need of a valve job, which means valve seats,too. Once you put hard valve seats in them they are good engines.
    Also, it is much more difficult to put hard seats in a flathead engine (Fords) than one with overhead valves.
    If you find a tractor that runs good and strong, it might have had a valve job not including new hard valve seats, and they will not run good for long.

GLTU

9. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

We love our old Kabota! My only caution on an import is to make sure parts are available. There are a lot flooding the market today with cheap resale, mainly due to unavailability of parts. Good hunting!

10. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Right now, there are a lot of grey market Yanmar tractors on the market. Most of the prices I've seen are very reasonable for what you are getting.

They made a 21hp diesel you see quite a bit, that will pull a 5 foot finish mower. It may be a bit more than budgeted, but I feel like you are getting a tractor that will be around for some time...