which calf?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Jess, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Jess

Jess Member

i am taking a show calf to the fair this year and i don't know which one to choose from, i am looking at four calves, all black, and their sires are, heat seeker, heat wave, who made who,and strictly business. in your alls opinion, which one would do better in the show ring? Last year i took one from Kid Rock and he did fairly well but i have heard of theses ones but don't know much about them.

2. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

What class of calf are you taking? I would really be looking at each of their conformation and disposition rather than bloodline. And...which one do you like? The judges shouldnt be wondering who the calf's sire is until AFTER he/she places the calf. He should be placing the calf on its own merits, which is correct conformation for the breed. And a good disposition in and out of the show ring is such a plus, which I'm sure you know. You can get a better fitting job done on it and they are always easier to 'set up' in the show ring. And if it is a steer and the judge wants to put his hands on it, and it doesnt shy away or kick at him...that is always a good thing!!!
    Good luck on your project!

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Pictures would help A LOT. They don't show every detail, but would give us an idea, such as the calves top line, pins, shoulders, and ribs. Are these beef or dairy? Beef I'm not sure of, but dairy the aformentioned is important. Oh and Feet and Legs, that applies to both beef and dairy (straight).

Jeff

4. Jess

Jess Member

I am really liking the who made who calf. He has a really nice top line and a really deep body. He has big nice legs, very nice wide body on him, and GREAT HAIR!! I am figuring on getting this one. Sry no pics the person i am getting it from lives 3 and a half hours away! Didn't get any pics because i didn't have a digital camra with me.Sry!

5. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Each of the sires you mentioned are proven club calf sires, but don't forget that the dam is the other 50% both genotypically and phenotypically, and she has the responsibility for whether they meet the growth curve. You really do have to choose by the individual calf's looks and apparent performance since birth. Everything the previous posts have mentioned is important -- a long, deep, growthy calf with excellent feet and legs is going to be necessary just for starters. Clean front end, too. Then, disposition, disposition, disposition! You sure don't want a plodder, but the judge can't see any of the good traits if you're fighting to get a nice, straight walk-out, or wrestling it into line when it should be set up and still as a statue. And of course, in the end it's one judge's opinion on one day!

Interesting to note that for awhile there, it was all Angus/Chi-angus/Maine Anjou breeding for the top club calves, now Shorthorn bloodlines are making a serious comeback.

Best of luck with your selection!

Susan