Which are the Pickles?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Barb, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Okay, I think I made a booboo. My chart says the straight 8 cukes are closest to the house and my pickling cukes are toward the fence. Well, hmm, I think they are mixed up. But it is hard to tell (at least for me ) when they are small and for some reason they are looking almost alike when larger. So... how do I tell them apart? My only clue is that one has more pointed leaves than the other. Is this the pickles? :help: Usually I can tell them apart because the straight 8 is solid dark skinned but they aren't this year.

If worse comes to worse in this rotten year will straight 8's can okay as pickles?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

When you take cucumbers and pickle them, they are all pickles. We used to call any and all of them pickles. Heinz had pickle factorys in several towns in the midwest years ago. I never did hear of a cucumber factory. My family raised them for the factory years ago. If the pickles got large we called them cucumbers. These weren't worth very much at the factory. They ran all the incoming pickles through a sorter that divided them up by size. A little pickle like they use to make Gerkins was worth nearly as much as the big cucumbers used to make Dills.

My best thought on your two varieties would be, it don't make no difference. How big they are when you pick them is what makes a difference.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I don't remember which way it goes, but one kind of cuke has thick skin, and the other kind has thin skin.

(my inner self-critic: Oh, yeah that was helpful. right. :rolleyes: )

4. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I'm not an expert but my picklers seemed to be a bit more prickly than the slicers, even when small. My MIL just told me that she only grows slicers. She pickles some before they get large and lets other grow for salads.

I prefer using picklers for most things, like macaroni salad, because there isn't as much soupy goopy seed stuff to slide around in the salad.

/VM

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I think the staight 8's are much "milder" if that is the word for it then pickling cukes. At the stage they are at they are all prickly but I'll look to see what is prickier. Might be a good clue. I've eaten some of the ones I was sure were straight 8's (long & dark skinned) but now the cukes from that hill look like the pickling cukes.

I think what I may have done is mix some of the the pickles with the staight 8's when I did a replant.

Nothing is going to be wasted this year. In the jar they go.

Thanks!

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
  7. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

My pickling cukes look like this:

[​IMG]

And my Straight 8's look like this:

[​IMG]

Don't know if that's much help, but the picklers are stockier, shorter, and lighter colored than the 8's. The eights are slender, darker, and thinner skinned.

I have success pickling both types.

Hope this helps!

Pony!

8. bjba

bjba Drifter

If they are too close together they'll cross pollinate so you may have straight picklers :D :D

9. Pony

Not this year, though, right?

Pony!

10. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Pony - that's what mine usually look like and I don't usually have any trouble telling them apart but not this year. I'm beginning to wonder if they did cross :rolleyes: The "pickles" are really long but lighter then the straight 8's but now some of the straight 8's are looking like pickles. Sigh!

I tried looking to see which are "prickier" but all I currently have are either too small or whoppers. Not enough to can but too many to eat.

Pony - are you growing both now? Are the leaves different?

Cripe! I guess I'l put them in a jar anyway. Boy, what a lousy garden year! Well, not totally. The brocolli & cauliflower and cabbage are doing good. I may get some watermelon and beans. The onions are okay. I'm hoping for potatoes. The corn was mostly eaten by coons and the tomatoes haven't set enough friut to can. I've been talking sweet nothings to the muskmelons and the winter squash for all the good it is doing. Oh, I did get peas!

We may get a storm tonight. If we do it will be either hail or start a fire from lightening. I'm sure gloomy tonight - the drought is getting me down I think.

11. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Barb, I've never grown pickling cukes. I always grew salad cukes and picked them small for pickling and let a few grow larger for slicing and eating.

Of course this year I decided I'll plant pickling cukes and just slice them small... and the danged things won't grow!! Mostly they dont' even germinate but even when they do the vine dies before it's a foot long. dagnabbit!

12. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

:D LOL!! :rolleyes:

13. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

lets see, long time ago I learned that picklers have different spines than slicers, I think the pickling cucumbers are blackspined and the slicers white spined, or was it the other way around?

14. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I think you are right Tabitha!!! As soon as it cools down I'll look.

Both hills look like straight picklers though. (lol) I think I mixed the seeds together in a replant :shrug:

15. Pony

I had to go out and check, and sure enough! The picklers have black spines and the slicers have white!!

How about that? Learn something new every day! :nerd:

Pony!

16. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Well, I looked and ........they are all white spined. Sigh!

I think my problem solved itself. They have stopped producing anything. Argggg!

One the bright side I did polish off a gopher in the trap. :hobbyhors

On the not so bright side I wonder how many more gophers I have. I pulled some golden beets for supper only to discover they had eaten into almost all of them.

17. Pony

Well, congrats on the gopher, and here's to finding more of the little blighters!

As for the cucs, are you sure they're done? Could they just be taking a breather? Last year, I grew some seriously vining Armenian cucumbers. They were all vine and no fruit after the first flush, but when temps cooled and I watered (we had drought last year) they took off again.

Don't give up, Barb! Keep a-goin'!

Pony!

18. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Thanks Pony! I'm still trying, even through four years of drought and a husband who gives me the evil eye every time I water. We are now on Rural Water so we have to pay for the water. It's been a hot, hot summer with most days 95+. The raccoons ate all my first ears on the corn, the tomatoes aren't producing, the gophers ate the beets, peas for seed, watermelon (one so far - the biggest) muskmelon and taken a bite out of almost everything, the peppers have rotten spots and now the cukes have quit.

But I'm hanging in there!!!! :p

19. Pony

(you all KNOW I've been waiting for an opportunity to use this emoticon)

C'mon, EVERYBODY! Gather 'round Barb!

:grouphug: ​

GROUP HUG!!!​

Pony!

20. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Well, gosh (sniff, sniff) thanks :bouncy: I feel better already