Whey uses?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Smoky Rain, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Smoky Rain

Smoky Rain Well-Known Member

Our goat milk production has increased to the point where we are currently getting about a gallon and a half a day from two does. We can't drink the milk fast enough... So we started using it for other things. My DW is very pleased to have made her first 'batch' of ricotta this morning, and I have to say that it is delicious...

Here's my question: All that whey that is leftover? What are some uses for it? Hate to throw it away if it can be used in other recipes... It is my understanding that it is loaded with protein.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Smoky Rain

2. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Once you've made ricotta from whey I figure there's really not much left. Some people use it in bread, but I get gallons of whey each week. You can make gjetost, as well if you have all day to boil it down. Pretty tasty, but gjetost from 3gal of whey lasts us about 3-4 months.

Pigs and chickens are supposed to like it.

3. Smoky Rain

4. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

If you use whey instead of milk or water in your bread recipes - YUMMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My husband loves whey-bread. :haha: Wont eat it any other way.
    I cant wait until our does freshen and we can start making cheese and whey bread again!
    I also use whey in place of milk in most of my cooking. Pancakes, rolls, muffins, etc.

Here's my next favorite idea for whey:
    I heard that it was a great marinade for meat, so when we processed a deer, I cut up pieces of the meat for stew that WOULD have been very tough, but I put them in quart jars, filled with whey, let sit in the fridge for 2 days, then drained the whey and cooked the meat. It was SOOOOOOO tender and delicious! Not tough and dry at all.

I am saving the rest of the venison to cook until I have whey again. :p

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I haven't made riccotta out of whole milk. I first make my hard or soft cheese from strained raw milk from the barn, then with the whey that drips off these cheeses, I heat this whey to boiling, add my vinegar or lemon juice, and then when it becomes egg white looking, I put this through my butter muslin to strain and use this as ricotta. I freeze this all year long, add salt to it for use in lazagna or other pasta dishes, or as most of the cheese in cheese cakes or icing. I also feed this unsalted to my dogs 2 weeks before whelping and during nursing of pups, even nursing 5 (and 5 pups when you only weigh 7 pounds is alot) none of my dogs blow their haircoat or loose condition.

I pour most of the liquid drained from making the ricotta this way, which is just a urine colored water, supposed to be high in riboflavin to my hens, to the bucks lambar buckets, and keep a mason jar full all the time in the fridge to use when I need water for any recipe.

I will have to try a whole milk ricotta though, I bet it's wonderful! Vicki

6. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Hi Smoky,

I'm not a huge fan of Fankhouser's gjetost recipe. I'll admit I've never made it though, but it skips a few steps every other recipe I've used. Here's how I would modify it:

In step 2 after reheating the whey to boiling you'll see white protein form (which is basically half way there to ricotta). Skim all this white "foam" off, and reserve it in the fridge.

In step 4, add the reserved "foam". Mix well. Then remove the whey from the heat pour some into a blender and blend till smooth. Poor into a new pot. Repeat until all the whey has been blended.

In step 5, put the pot into a bath of ice water and whisk it till it's so thick you can't stir it. Then transfer into a greased heat proof rectangular container.

If you pile it up like he does you'll have a heck of a time cutting it when it turns into a solid mass. Plus it won't store well. It keeps in the fridge for ~6 months. =) I used some microwave safe tupperware containers, or ceramic bowl.

In step 4 you can also add 1 or 2 cups of heavy cream. I prefer it without the cream though. It's basically caramelized milk sugars, I don't need a ton of fat added to it.

7. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I usually save our whey, freeze it and then use it for the hogs we grow each summer...they love it. you can also feed it to your chickens, they will drink it right up. I also pour it on my dogs dry food for a treat.
    I also, like the others, use it insted of water in recipes...like bread.

Belinda

8. Smoky Rain

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions...

The whole milk ricotta was, without a doubt, the best ricotta I've ever had... Saturday, DW plans to make lasagna with what is left (if there is any left).

Glad that there are so many uses for this leftover whey. I have four outdoor cats (they are my hunters ;) ), and as a special treat tonight they got to sample a little bit... Not one of them came up for air until they had lapped it all up.

Smoky Rain

9. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

my hubby drinks it . it is very healthy to drink.
    I give it to chickens, dogs, any baby animals that might be here on the homestead, depending on what time of year it is.
    but I think I will use it in bread , sounds great.

10. AndreaNZ

AndreaNZ Well-Known Member

Most of our whey goes to the livestock (I soak feeder peas in whey to give the pigs and chooks a protein boost - they love it!). The dogs get their rice cooked in it a couple of times a week, the cats love it.

For my kids (children, that is!), I use it in place of water when making lemonade. Makes a really refreshing summer drink. For my son, I add some molasses and honey (about a TBSP each to quart), shake it up, and chill it. He has some with breakfast everyday.

Cheers
    Andrea
    NZ

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

whey for pigs chickens cats dogs, bread meat tenderizer... you name it !
    never tried gjetost, but i dont like the taste of whey, oh ,i do use the whey instead of water in my sourdough starter too ....
    just a few things you can use it for.....:d its definately not a "waste" product