Whew! Glad that's over!!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by OD, Jul 17, 2005.

1. OD

OD Well-Known Member

My old Jersey cow finally had her calf this week. She had milk fever with her last calf, & nearly died, & I've been worried that it would happen again. I guess all my precautions & praying paid off, because mother & daughter are both fine 2 days after the event.
    [​IMG]

2. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

What a great pair! And lucky you with no milk fever! Our jersey was just bred this week and we're looking forward already to her next calf!

Nice looking calf!

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Beautiful!
    What is the breeding on those two? Sires and dams?

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Roseanna,
    I don't know what her breeding is. I bought her from a Jersey dairy when she was 3 days old. The man said he was selling her because her mother had short teats. Her's aren't very long either, but she has raised 19 calves, including foster babies.
    The calf is out of a red angus bull. I wish I had AI'd her to a Jersey, but I didn't have much hope of it being a heifer because she usually has bull calves. She is 12 years old, so I'm running out of time if I want to get a full blood Jersey heifer from her.

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I wish the AI worked with our Jersey, but ah well. A hereford/Jersey cross for her first is no biggy. Nice looking calf.

Jeff

6. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Very nice looking calf OD, and congrats on the absence of MF.

Jan

7. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Congrats OD. Looks like your old girl has done herself proud. 19 calves? Already at 12 years olds.

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

He said some of those were foster calves, Haggis! (Yeah, I know ... I went, "Whaaaa?" too at first!)

Anyway, CONGRATS, OD! :bow:

Not to be a spoilsport, but keep a close eye on her for a few more days, eh? I have seen milk fever develop a couple days post-calving ... of course, every day postpartum the risk drops, though, so hopefully she'll do just fine!

My girls are due the 31st and I'm biting my nails here. Twister's bag is huge and I do mean HUGE! She's walking spraddle-legged on account of it. Teeny is just starting to bag up (of course she doesn't have much of an udder :rolleyes: so it's hardly noticeable!) I am keeping a close eye on their back ends, no swelling yet! I can't possibly see how Twist will make it another 11 days, though, without popping!

9. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

I know what that waiting feels like!!! Sleep in your clothes, with shoes nearby!

My 3/4 Guernsey-Angus Cross is carrying Jersey at the moment, and has "secluded" herself away from last year's calf in the smaller pen inside her pasture where her shelter is located. She's not due till Aug. 1st, but neighboring ranchers who delivered hay a few days ago say she's looking ready to pop. She's putting out some mucous, and yesterday her vulva was red and a bit swollen, but not this morning.

I'm working every day to re-train her to her stanchion, but she had no interest in her little bit of grain for enticement yesterday. I hose her down with a fine mist from the pressure nozzle to cool/clean her off and give her a good combing/brushing before heading her towards the stanchion. [Maybe that's why she didn't want to come out yesterday?] Her bag's looking ready, but wasn't stiff night before last, when I last had her in it. This is her third calf, and the first two were difficult. This cow's got the size of an Angus...1500# easily, so I'm hoping she's got a heifer in her this time, so's I can maybe have a smaller milker to work with. She usually goes full term, did with her first two bulls, anyway.

10. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

She looks very good for 12!
    Congrats on the heifer calf!

11. OD

OD Well-Known Member

:D :D She has only had 8 of her own. She has a daughter that has had more than she has.

12. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Just out of curiosity, how old is her daughter and how many babies has she had, any of them twins. Just want to know, no real reason other than that.