Where's the snow???

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by cowboy joe, Dec 29, 2006.

1. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

What’s up with the weather in the northeast??? No snow to speak of & hi temps around here are predicted in the low 40s for the next 10 days. (Knock wood!) Heck, it’s not sunny Florida but we’ll take it! :dance:

OK, so I'm gloating...hope those of you hit by the recent storms are doing alright...

2. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

Colorado is hogging all the snow! That's where it all is! It's ours, all ours I tell ya!! :nana:

So we got another good couple inches out here, with more to come. It has not been as bad as they said it was going to be though I don't think... it's not over yet though, still snowing.

The main roads are clear, but we're under order not to drive unless we absolutely have to... which hubby had to today because their VPN was not working (he couldn't dial in to the work system to work from home) :Bawling:

Well, we need the moisture. A back-to-back snowfall like this is very unusual though.

3. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

+1 on Colorado hoarding all the snow. Here in Indiana it is the same situation. we are going to hit a high of 53 today! Talked with Mom in the U.P. of Michigan, and same thing there. They had some snow early on, but warm warm warm now!

4. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

beware fellow hoosier, it's on it's way this weekend mauahhhaaahhaa

5. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Where is the snow? In Alberta, apparently. We had beautiful weather up until Boxing Day. It started to cloud up some, and on Wednesday night, BAMMO.

Shall I send an "Alberta Clipper" down your way? I'd be more than happy to... :D

6. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Thanks Tracy but it would only get held up in customs anyway. I have family up your way...maybe they can bring it with them when they come to visit?

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Well duh, it's global warming. (heh heh heh)

8. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

I don't know how well it would pack :D

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Cowboy Joe, I think the Northeast has gotten more than its fair share of snow over the past couple of years...

I won't complain about the lack of snow here in Northern IL, because we have had plenty of precipitation. What bothers me is the unusually high temps we're having for late December this year. Looks like January's not going to be much colder.

Pony!

10. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Doc, I keep hearing it's El Nino's fault....

We've had weird weather here, too. Snow in November is rare, but we had a pretty good (for PacNW) snowfall then. Flooding, ice, snow, wind, now pretty much cold and dry (with an inch or two of snow on the 27th). There's so much frost out there this morning that it looks like it snowed!

So, Colorado, when are you going to share with the rest of us? ;)

Tracy, cowboy joe: you two are just too, too funny! Thanks for the giggle. :D

11. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

It is 1:30 PM here and 54 degrees. Heck last year it was almost so cold your fire would freeze. We arn't complaining though because our tolat heat for the year has been about $70 and still got a week or more coal left. Now our wood pile is taking a big hit as it is to warm to burn much coal. Luckily we got more wood than we thought we would need plus a friend is building a huge house and we have been cleanig up all the scrap wood for him. Hope every one else stays warm. Sam

12. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I like the frost, all the mud from the rainstorms is frozen.

You forgot the big windstorm, but I guess that's not atypical of this area, they just aren't usually so BIG.

13. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep we have your snow, and we are HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY as that means we just MIGHT have adequate water next summer!

14. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

SSSSSHHHHHH !!!

If you are tempted to complain about the mild weather lately, just review your electric and oil bills !
    I'll take it for as longer as Mother Nature cares to hand it out.

15. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, Doc, I did say wind, but I should have said WIND!!!! Yeah, for sure we've had our share of windstorms already this winter. Did you lose power in the big blow? What part of OR are you in? I was in a motel in Beaverton during the Dec 14th storm, and barely had the lights flicker there, but the power was out for a while at home while we were gone and I know some folks didn't get power back for days (including my best friend). We've had a couple other good stout windstorms, too. Never a dull moment,eh?

edited to add: Yeah, I kind of like it frozen myself. Beats pouring rain and slogging through the mud. :D Keeps me from doing a lot of the jobs I should be working on outside, which is a mixed curse and blessing!

16. dmarie

dmarie Well-Known Member

In this part of northeastern Ontario, it was a green Christmas--not a speck of snow to be found--unless you looked really hard. Today it was reported that it has been the mildest December since records began (at least for this area) Some communities have taken advanatge and reopened their golf courses. Great for any of those who received golf equipment from Santa! It has been a good 6-7 degrees above "normal", some days almost 40, but still nights are quite cold--enough to freeze some of the smaller rivers and ponds.
    While these snowless conditions are great for anyone with travel plans, it is not a good thing for ski and/or snowmobile resorts. Does make me a tad nervous though--is it the calm before the storm and will we be buried up to our necks in the white stuff soon???!!!
    Happy New Year All! Hugs from dmarie

17. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

60 degrees here tommorrow,think I will straighten out my grapevine.DH makes snow at not so local ski resort,not working much this year so far.Only been cold enough 2 times to make snow.