Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in the grocery store earlier this evening and noticed several empty shelves. It could be where holiday displays are being moved and new displays haven't been put up yet. Anyone else notice this in your local stores?

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
There's always a shelf empty somewhere. In general it doesn't mean anything. You want to be able to predict shortages? Get up at 5am and listen to the Farm and Market report. When farm commodity prices suddenly skyrocket, expect a shortage coming to your grocery store in about 3-6 months.

·
Pragmatist
2,092 Posts
Food shortages haven't really started yet.... you'll *know* when they do.....

·
I am good without god.
858 Posts
I'd say that due to post Christmas sales combined with regular weekend shopping some shelving would be bare right now. I would not worry unless the same shelving was bare for three days or more. Most stores receive shipments twice a week, sometimes three times, especially for fresh bakery and dairy products. Thus if a slot is empty after three days there might be a need to worry.

More worrisome is if a store starts restricting sales of items that normally have no limits and there is no special promotion going on.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
I love how they pull all the stock towards the front of the shelf... so it looks like there's a plenty.

I'm seriously thinking about changing my eating habits, and start eating lots of foreign fruits and vegetables..... knowing we may be at the end of an era... could easily see tropical fruit being a luxury item, purchased only now and then.

·
I am good without god.
858 Posts
It wasn't that long ago, back as late as the 1950s that oranges, pineapples and the like were seasonal fruits available around Christmas only as special treats. My mother told me about that from her childhood.

As for front facing, well, I notice the trick and I also notice how much less is behind as backstock.

I have yet to see a store really out of stock of anything for very long, more than a day or two. I may see short term situations, like of snow clearing products the night or day of the first major snow storm. Beyond that, I haven't seen anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts