Where's El NINO!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Dec 3, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Well its getting pretty chilly here at night. -16C, for you Americans around 2 F. Whats the temperature in your neck of the woods? I thought it was an El Nino year? Did they cancel that :haha:

2. mountain granny

mountain granny Well-Known Member

It was right around 10º for three mornings in a row. This morning it's 19º. The weather guesser had said we would be having a winter that was warmer than usual. Wonder when it's supposed to start?

3. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

El Nino temperatures occur every few years, we see it on the west coast when makerell and other warmer water fish show up in local waters.They do have an effect, as they are in huge schools and eat salmon fry.However, this is a natural phenomina and has gone on for milenia.Just part of the ecosystem.Same thing about the arctic warming- it reached these temperatures about70 years ago- but actually, that is a very short measuring period-weather patterns are typically 100 year cycles, and that is ''normal'' not any particularshift in global temperature changewhich takes thousands of years.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

We supposedly are going to have a warm, dry winter here, too. So far it's been well into the teens at night, November brought almost 12" of rain (by my guage), and I'm watching the snow fall right now. The cold I can deal with (isn't that what wood stoves and down jackets are for?), I sure could use some dry right now. Dry would be really nice.

5. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

Heck thats like asking how long is a piece of string!
    Far as we are concerned I'd say El Nino is on your side of the Pacific. When we have it it means drought and we have had a slightly cooler spring but lots of luverly rain, almost weekly. Of course this theory it shot to smithereens by the fact that Oz is still in drought mode.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Mid 20s to mid 30s at night,supposedly yet another rain/snow due this Sunday.Im amazed at how much winter we are seeing so early.I like the rain,snow is only good if its NOT on workdays,thats getting old,I work weekends,and guess where the storms have fallen? :rolleyes:
    BooBoo

7. mountain granny

mountain granny Well-Known Member

We've had more rain since mid October than we normally have in a year. This year's weather has been crazy.

8. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Rain is good, no? Well it's good if you live in Arizona desert country. This is the coldest, wettest winter I have seen in quite a while.