Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... buuuuut not, like, a nice one. We want one *only* for the idyllic look of it. We want to place a classic silo next to our red barn. It doesn't have to be functional, it can be salvage, since we're not going to *use* it.

I've searched online for grain silos and grain bins, but I only seem to find brand new industrial storage behemoths.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
8,092 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! :happy2: Yeeeeeeah, but I think I'm really thinking something a little more (how do you say?) not in bits spread all over God's creation. I'm looking for something that still poses it's ... vertical-ness. :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A stave silo is exactly what we're looking for ... I just didn't know the proper name for it.

It looks like there's plans online to build one also. Would likely be cheaper than having one disassembled and shipped.

Thanks, Sammyd!

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
First off, and time for a little education. What you call grain silow, ARENT called grain silo in the farmer world. There called GRAIN BINS. They ONLY hold grain. SILOW, whether stave, block, fiberglass, ONLY hold forage.
If you figure out how to build a stave silo, let me know. For your further information, the first silo were square, NOT round, and they stayed square for 10yrs or more after coming over here from Europe,.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Drive around and find an old Harvestore. Dairy farmers aren't using them anymore. They might even give to you, but you'll have to tear it down and transport it.

My father paid thousands of dollars for a brand new one back in the 70's. Three years ago someone paid him $1000 for it. He didn't want to take the offer, he thought it should be worth more. My brother told him to take it, otherwise dad would have had to pay to have it removed.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Drive around until you see one, knock on the door and make an offer. Repeat until you find one you can buy. Don't call it a grain silo though...that might tip off the owner to give you the "sucker price." Do you want concrete or wood?

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
How would high moisture grain dry out in a silo?

ALRIGHT, Let me say that Im sticking by what I said about description, but appairantly some people have put grain in silos.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
you don't want high moisture corn to dry out in a silo.

the 24x80 I have out back has a lot of extra hoops, the guy that put it up would put dry shell corn in it
We put up a brand new 20x70 in 80 there were still lots of silos going up around here till the 90's.
Now you can usually get em for free if you pay to move them.
Or buy the staves at 2 bucks each if they are all ready down.

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
I think you better take a good look at a REAL silo, to answer your question, OR look at the deminisions that Sammy had put up above. 24 X 80. 20 X 70. That's diameter, AND highth. Most of the old ones wernt 1/2 that highth tho, but still there way up there.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts