Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of the nation, remembering 9/11/01 attack and where I was.

Depending where I was, I would not have had supplies to adequately get home. Where I actually was was not in danger, but in shock. I could have walked home but it would have taken all day (17 miles).

Do you remember exactly when you heard about the first plane hitting?

I thought some stupid student pilot had hit with a small plane when I first heard it.

Went to get a soda and some ice. Came back and heard it was a commercial plane, and had really confusing thoughts.

But when the second one hit, then there was no doubt it was deliberately done. Then the Pentagon, and Flight 93.

Yes, I remember. I became brain shocked and came home from work and sat in front of the tv and watched the coverage.

What do you remember?

·
Registered
13,304 Posts
I was about 5 miles from home, but my heart was in my old home a few blocks from the WTC and where I had no idea if my friends were ok.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm a SAHM and I was home. We didn't have tv service then and dh called me to tell me. I went next door to mama's to watch the coverage.

Dh is a salesman and was a couple of hours away. As long as he had gas and the roads were usable, he could have made it home. Walking, no way.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was 8 miles from home at work in the marble shop. We were listening to Bubba the love sponge and when the first one hit he said it was a terrorist attack. I remember saying how stupid and irresponsible of him to just throw that out there like that. This is America stuff like that doesn't happen here then the second one hit and the whole shop stopped working and everybody huddled around the radio.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I was in downtown St. Louis in one of the tallest buildings there.. 38 stories, so they wanted to evacuate the building as much as possible.. We were on the top floor (the conference rooms) watching everything unfold on TV..

I had someone I was dating in DC, and couldn't reach her because of the lines being jammed, plus that day her father died.... After all said and done, she said it was just too freaky of a day because her father had worked for the CIA in anti-terrorism before he retired..

I was actually supposed to leave for DC the day after the attacks. Needless to say, that flight got canceled, so I had to rent a car to drive to DC. I had to be there for work, and I had to also stop in Wheeling WV for a big tobacco trial they were having there to take care of some of their equipment.. When I did get to DC three days after the attack, it was pretty spooky seeing hummers with big machine guns sitting on the corners..

Oh. and no, I wasn't in close walking distance from home in downtown STL.. I was about 28 miles away from home..

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I was commuting 2 hours to school in those days. I had left class in Orono, Maine and stopped for gas, gas was cheap that year! Everyone in the mini-mart was standing around a speaker in the wall that was broadcasting the attack. I eventually left, listening to the news the whole way home. Would have been a long, long ways on foot. But my brother did live 1/2 way into the commute.

I had no supplies in my car in those days. Maybe some water and a snack in my school bag. I commuted in the winter and didn't even have a blanket or extra clothes in the car!

·
Registered
13,304 Posts
Tiempo - that must have been a really bad day for you waiting to hear from your friends.
I managed to reach the first one by phone about 24 hours after. Within a couple of days the front door and walls of my old building were plastered with flyers made by family and loved ones of those missing.

Of course most of them were never found. It's still hard to wrap my head around.

·
Indomitable
4,798 Posts
I was at work in the clean room working on a web server upgrade. One of our interns came in to tell me that a plane had hit. Knowing that Teterboro is right across the Hudson from there, we all assumed it was one of the Gulfstreams or Pipers leaving there. Then the second hit. My thoughts never went to "getting home," they were directed at helping my friends through this.

We had about a dozen coworkers who had family and friends working either in those buildings or in the surrounding buildings. We all gathered in the conference room and waited for the checkins. Crying. Praying. Begging God really more than praying. By the end of the afternoon, all had been accounted for. Because of the beautiful autumn day, there did seem to be a rash of tardiness. Mercifully.

The conference room had TVs. A local station was showing the evacuation from the water. The ferry boats and dinner cruise boats and all the small craft from the marinas on the Jersey side going to get people off that island. Someone uttered, "Dunkirk."

My cousin's fiancee was in the first one hit. He and his best friend went to leave and were stopped--there was already falling debris and bodies (an image he said he will never be able to erase from his memories). His friend went back to his office and the second one hit. Bill left and ran to his sister's on the upper west side (about 70-75 city blocks). He never saw his best friend again.

I live in the flight path of Newark, Teterboro and we also see some of Laguardia and JFK's air traffic. I had never heard it so quiet outside. So still that night. For the following weeks it was heart retching to drive past the train station parking lots and seeing cars that hadn't moved in the time since the attack. Knowing their owners hadn't made it.

And the endless funerals and services.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was on a small back road in rural SC headed to a sales call at a plastics plant. Heard it on the radio and stopped a country store and watched it unfold on a tv with the owner of the store.
My wife worked in downtown Charlotte at the time. I called her and told her to get home ASAP.
I did go on to my sales call but spent the whole next day on the couch watching coverage.

I was 150 miles from home so I guess I could have walked but it would have taken a long time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As most of the nation, remembering 9/11/01 attack and where I was.

Depending where I was, I would not have had supplies to adequately get home. Where I actually was was not in danger, but in shock. I could have walked home but it would have taken all day (17 miles).

Do you remember exactly when you heard about the first plane hitting?

I thought some stupid student pilot had hit with a small plane when I first heard it.

Went to get a soda and some ice. Came back and heard it was a commercial plane, and had really confusing thoughts.

But when the second one hit, then there was no doubt it was deliberately done. Then the Pentagon, and Flight 93.

Yes, I remember. I became brain shocked and came home from work and sat in front of the tv and watched the coverage.

What do you remember?
Like you, I thought it was a small private plane that hit the first tower.

Found out it was a airliner, everyone started streaming from different news sources.

Then the command declared all civies off base. But they shut down all the gate but one clear on the otherside of base. So, 7k+ people all trying to get off base at once. Took nearly 2 hrs. I could of walked home in that time, like a 20-30min walk.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
In England, shopping for a thank you gift. Saw people gathered around TV sets & went to look. Took DD and me 5 days to get a flight home! 24 hours before I could get a phone call through to the States.

The thing I'll never forget is walking down the LAX concourse and hearing the echo of my footsteps as I was the only one there - besides the guard watching me all the way.

Being in England and glued to their TV gave me a different perspective. When we went out to the store & people found we were Americans - the compassion amazing.

Reactions: InHisName

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
What sticks with me is not the day itself.. and my story from that day is long.

But the day, much later, when the first jet flew over again.
The skies over me were so quiet... then the first jet flew over again.
People stopped their cars.. got out and stared at the sky.

That was surreal...

And being at work on 9/11 and hearing every car at every stoplight ALL listening to the exact same radio station. That was surreal too.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
I was home with my 2yr old. DH called and asked me what was going on.....I had no idea as the TV was off (guess he thought I sat in front of the TV and ate bon-bon's all day ;) ). Anyways, turned it on and gave him play-by-play for a while. He was at work and saw the news feed when walking by the lunch room....but couldn't stop to see what was up. I watched the 2nd plane hit - live. Had to call DH back a bit later and tell him his trip was cancelled (he and some others were leaving that afternoon). They ended up renting a car a few days later and driving down....praying the entire way that the tunnels in VA were open.

The quiet was eerie the next few days, no planes overhead....we live on a flight path to a regional airport.

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
I was less than 3 miles from my small acreage home AO at my parents farm watching Big Jake with my father on one of the movie channels when my mother got home from the early shift at the post office and had us turn the channel.

When the reports of it being an attack my father asked my mother what the pantry looked like and told me to go reacquaint myself with his weapon safe in case I had to stay at their farm.

When I mentioned if we were in a possible curfew situation I would have to get back home to take care of my dogs, he told me if that were the case I could come down to get my dogs and weapons and stay in our family farm AO.

To that I replied that they had 4 military veterans neighboring their AO and I had two Viet Nam and Desert Storm veterans and four old country boys bordering the property lines of my home place AO so he told to come home when I needed to take care of my dogs but to radio test my CB base station setup by radioing them in case the land lines went down for some reason since if we were in a nation wide war situation there were too many high threat targets in a 70 mile radius of this area.

While we all felt the security rattle of the attacks, we just got home and stayed hunkered down for a couple days hoping martial law didn't get declared.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I did walk home. I was facilities manager for The Boston Ballet, lived about a mile away and walked to and from work. We had school kids and the company there, and they were sent home pretty early. It was around 2:30 or 3 when the final persons left, and I locked up the building and walked home. The city was a ghost town, no cars or people out at all. My wife had gotten off work some time earlier and met me at the neighborhood pub, T C's. I had heard it all on the radio at work, but seeing it on the TV above the bar was just stunning. The place was packed, but almost silent. No one seemed to want to go home. We watched the planes hit, and the towers fall over, and over and over. I had been a fireman and knew that 1000s of people were dead. That night, laying in bed, was surreal. The city night was silent, except for the sound of fighter jets patrolling the sky above us.
We had no emergency plan before that. Afterwards, the wife and I had plans, and a meeting spot in a small town about 30 miles away.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I was in a bunker. They sealed the facility when the first plane hit and no one was allowed to leave. Our systems started going down as agencies across the United States started using them to try to find out what was happening. Nothing was working within our systems because they were not scaled to be used by all of their potential users at one time.

I saw the communications breakdown occurring at all levels of authority. I saw the guy whose job it was to brief the president about what was going on have a breakdown. He locked himself in a bathroom stall and wouldn't stop crying.

Finally someone got a television circuit up and going in the command bunker so we could find out what was happening outside. (We had no phones, no nothing.) We had to get CNN up and going in order to find out what was going on.

It was that day, being on the inside and watching all the experts who were supposed to know things break down, that it planted the seed of "maybe I should rely on myself instead."

·
NJ Rich
1,239 Posts
I was on the way home from the lumber yard when the first plane hit Tower One. I didn't have a cell phone back then. I got home and my wife called the house phone. She said to turn on the TV news. I did and before the set light up she added that Tower One in NYC had been hit by a plane. I was still watching when the second plane hit the other Tower.

My next door neighbors daughter was supposed to be in the first tower hit for an interview that morning but the meeting was cancelled the afternoon before. It wasn't her turn to leave this life.

A distant relation was in the building across the street from Tower One when the first plane hit. He ran out to see what happened and was locked out of this building by security. His wallet and cell phone were in his desk many floors above the street. He started walking towards one of the bridges leading to NJ before the second plane hit.

A man driving by said, "Where are you going"? Andrew replied; "New Jersey". The man said, "Get in". I guess they got out just in time. The man allowed Andrew to call home and tell his family he was OK and on the way home. It was"t his turn to leave this earth either.

The County where I live lost so many people that day. Families were shattered and they continue to suffer.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
I was teaching school. From the front of it, I can see my place about 5 miles away in a straight line. I could have walked, but with my legs would have taken a long time. Lots of parents hit the school to get kids and take them on home, not much was done that day, .....
Ed

1 - 20 of 61 Posts