Where to sell weathered lumber?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom has a stack of well-seasoned/weathered lumber on her front porch. Many of the boards are 14 inches wide. She is threatening to cut it up to burn in the wood stove this winter, but I told her she could probably sell it as these are quite popular for rustic decor.

Anyone know where one might sell such stuff?

There's also a lot of it on the exterior of her house (the ones on the porch are the ones Daddy never got around to putting up).

2. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I wouldn't burn it. I would advertise it in your local paper. There are artists and crafts people who use it for projects. Some folks use it to make rustic cabinet fronts and shelves and such.
    As far as pricing it someone with more knowledge than me will have to help you. Have you thought about putting it on the barter board here at HT?

3. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I agree!!!

Contact an antiques dealer in your area. They may know someone that make furniture/picture frames/curio shelves, etc, etc out of "barnboard" or weathered wood.

4. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

I wouldn't burn it either, especially if it is 14" wide planks. Is the lumber surfaced on all sides (lumber yard bought) or is it rough-milled? How thick is it? Might be demand for it as flooring. There are some companies and individuals who buy old lumber, hardware, etc. from houses and barns to resell to people.

I bought a farm that had two old barns on it. I was tearing them down as there was lots of 2-inch lumber, planks and beams that were salvageable. One day, a woman pulled up in a car. She said she was from Minneapolis and asked if I had any old barn doors. This barn was over 100 years old, and had lots of two piece doors (four on each side). Well she saw the wide boards on them and how faded they were, and asked if I would take $125 for each door-half? (After I picked my jaw up off the ground, I said as many as you want. She picked out 12 that she wanted and I hauled them back to the home place. She came back following weekend with cash and a pickup. She told me she painted rustic scenes on them and they were popular sellers. To tell you the truth, I got more from those doors than I did from selling used dimensioned lumber from those barns.

I guess try a classified ad in some sort of paper or publication that weekenders and city people might see, or go to an arts and crafts fair and ask around. Don't know, I lucked out and hope you do as well.

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I had someone who drove by offer $1000 for a big sheep shed. Should have sold it, I guess.

6. Ravenlost

These are fairly rough...Daddy cut them on his sawmill (one man sawmill that we also need to sell), but they are even on all sides.

My brother and I are hoping to save the old barn...it's huge, but the roof has fell in at one spot. I'm thinking we should save this lumber that Daddy sawed out and use it on the barn.

SIGH...my mom wants to tear the barn down and sell everything. She even mentioned moving to a small house with less acreage, but I think we siblings put a stern veto on that! (Not that Mama would ever actually move anyway.)

7. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Because it is just weathered lumber that has been milled, then you can make it look like new again with a bottle of bleach. put a board on the ground and spray it with bleach, come back in the morning and it will look like it was just sawed. You can use a gardner sprayer or just rub it with a rag. Wood that wide is to good to let go for fire wood. Try it, you will be amased.

8. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

call a local lumbr store and ask what boards such as you have are selling for new..... most likely you have pine boards being that wide but i am not familiar with your area as to what other large timber you might have that would be suitable for siding.....

anyhow offer the boards up for sale at either the same price with a willingness to haggle over price or double the price cause it is speacially curred.... some people have more money than sense and pay higher for something that is kinda common at times....

advertise what you have at a local feed store bulletine board, church board, laundry.... or anywhere else that allows a free posting..... and place an ad in the local paper state the number of pieces, length and width.... it will sell.

As for the barn, if it isnt to much of a headache or hazzard to rebuild, sometimes it can be done fairly reasonable.... other times it can be cheaper to tear it down and start over.

William

9. Ravenlost

Thanks for all the suggestions. We really don't want to tear the barn down. There's no barn like it in the area and we have many fond memories of playing in it growing up.

I don't know what type wood it is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't pine. Daddy wouldn't have bothered to put untreated pine up on the exterior of the house. Mama will know what it is though.

10. tenacrewoods

tenacrewoods New Member

Hello! Ravenlost
    I'm new here so thought I'd say hi first.I tried to pm you about wood
    but said post was full.My nephews make furniture from old lumber so
    I'm very interested.Please email about how much you want for it and
    where it's located.I'm in Cut & Shoot Tx just north of Houston.

Thank You!
    Mike E.

debbiejoevans@yahoo.com

11. Ravenlost

Hey!

I'll email you in the morning...about to hit the hay right now. The lumber is currently in NW Alabama. I could move it a little closer to NW MS.

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Was it cut with a bandsaw or a circular saw? The old lumber is worth much more to antique wood crafters if it has circular saw marks in it. Here's a photo of a coat rack I made out of two peices of salvaged wood. The wood had some red paint on it and circular saw marks...both making the boards more interesting and desireable.

[​IMG]

13. Ravenlost

I'm not sure Cabin Fever. I'll have to check when I go back.