where to sell goods?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sussexr, Apr 12, 2005.

1. sussexr

sussexr New Member

Ok I am going to sound completely stupid, but besides farmers markets, where else do everyone sell their extra goods? I mean like cattle, sheep, poultry, garden, and farm crops? And how do you get into selling at other places then farmers markets?

Rob

2. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

'round here folks just put up little index cards at the local bulletin board, like at the feed store, to sell their excesses. You can also advertise, if you want to spend the money, in the local paper. Either way, folks are coming to you and spending their gas to get there.
    I'm sure that some may not want folks coming to their place, but maybe it would be an option for you. :)

mamabear

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

There are usually auctions around for just about anything. Sale barns usually hold weekly sales of common livestock and sometimes special sales for different things such as poultry or other small animals. There are also produce auctions for garden crops. Grain is usually sold to an elevator, with or without a contracted price that was set months ago.

To sell at these venues, you just show up and bring your stuff. You are pretty much obligated to take what you get for whatever it is, so be ready for that.

You can also attempt to sell your items to other people directly through good old advertising, etc. Some try to sell their produce to stores and such as well. These methods just take pavement pounding, talking to people and seeing what you can work out.

JEna

4. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

For me selling things like fresh wreaths and Christmas trees, and my woodworking projects came very slow.Sometimes I even gave samples because I knew I had good stuff, and the word would spread.Many times it is location, location.Once when I had several trees and finally had developed my wreath skills, I asked a local produce market if I could rent there space during the off season, they let me and we ran that lot for 4 years selling out every year.If you can find a great spot, have a gimmick(samples-eye appeal-and good stuff)you will do well. Just remember "thank God for unanswered prayers" we are now so busy all year round I barely get to fish or hunt much.I recommend finding an intersection in the middle of town , not on the outskirts...most people want to make good time driving once they hit the open road, and would rather stop before that.You are well prepared if you select a vacant lot for short term , some folks would like a little rent rather than none and make sure also it has trees for shade. I you have something that is handmade try making a few during high traffic times so as to draw in folks when they see you.I became so good at demonsrating my wreath making, people looked for us just so they could see a fresh wreath being made to order right before their eyes.It pays off to do this , and in my case I became the Guinness World Record holder for fresh wreath making. I consider it one of the most pleasant things I ever did.Marty.