Where to inject

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm wondering what method people are using to inject new born lambs. Ours get Vitamin AD and E selenium intramuscularly into the neck. I haven't injected into the leg area in 20 years not just because you can touch the psyatic (sp) nerve but if it abcesses you're destroying valuable meat. I know a subQ of these injections will work but is slower absorbing and harder to track its effectivness. What are you all doing and why?

2. LeahN

LeahN Well-Known Member

My vet recommeded that I inject subq in newborn lambs, just because its so much easier in lambs that have so little muscle! If I had to get something absorbed fast, I guess I'd give it IM in the neck muscle, but I feel if it doesn't need to be fast acting its safer and easier to give it subq. I haven't given any AD-Se injections, but I've had to give a few penicillin.

3. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

My lambs get their vaccinations SQ in the "arm pit" of the front leg. The big girls and boys get theirs SQ in the neck because I can't sit them on their butt and my husband's not very good at it either.(One would think that after all these years we'd figure it out!) And, tomorrow is ewe vaccination day! Anyone want to come help?