Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested in hearing from anyone homesteading in upstate NY, New Hampshire or Vermont as to the pros and cons of your location. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
I, too, would love to hear of anyone homesteading up here. I currently live in upstate NY - in a highly "lake-effect-snow prone" area, and have been wondering if there is anyone up this way who homesteads.

While I'm not in a situation to move out and start up a homestead, I am very interested in the possibilities of living on a homestead in the future, and I love the area. So, to echo HollyHobbie2004 - does anyone homestead up here? And what's it like?

--Hannah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is your weather? My BF is concerned about moving somewhere with so much snow that it would immobilize us during the winter. About how much snow do you usually get? Rain? What's it like in the summer?

CountryGoalie said:
I, too, would love to hear of anyone homesteading up here. I currently live in upstate NY - in a highly "lake-effect-snow prone" area, and have been wondering if there is anyone up this way who homesteads.

While I'm not in a situation to move out and start up a homestead, I am very interested in the possibilities of living on a homestead in the future, and I love the area. So, to echo HollyHobbie2004 - does anyone homestead up here? And what's it like?

--Hannah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
I dont live on a homestead but-
I live in NW MA it's not uncommon in a hard winter for us to get 1-2' of snow over night(not everynight :rolleyes: ) and -17 but normal winters are a steady 3' of snow on the ground maybe a little more and low's of -5 to -10 *F.
have you thought about maybe WV or VA?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
HollyHobbie2004 said:
How is your weather? My BF is concerned about moving somewhere with so much snow that it would immobilize us during the winter. About how much snow do you usually get? Rain? What's it like in the summer?
I am not a homesteader, but here is a climate link for the southern finger lakes region(Ithaca NY) that shows annual temps, precipitation and snowfall by month: http://www.nrcc.cornell.edu/climate/ithaca/enhanced.html

Areas closer to lake Ontario and Lake Erie get much more snowfall (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and surrounding areas).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I hadn't thought really of WV or VA altho BF did mention VA...I drove through part of WV years ago, it was pretty rural. But doesn't VA get real hot during the summer?

Rouen said:
I dont live on a homestead but-
I live in NW MA it's not uncommon in a hard winter for us to get 1-2' of snow over night(not everynight :rolleyes: ) and -17 but normal winters are a steady 3' of snow on the ground maybe a little more and low's of -5 to -10 *F.
have you thought about maybe WV or VA?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Ever thought about Maine? it is great the winters are cold but they keep the roads clear. Land is still around 500,00 an acer and the people are nice. I'v been here a year, but just got to move in the farm last week and all ready have had help unloading my things and help with heading up a spring, and some fish droped off. the nerest store is only 15 miles away. the price of rough cut wood is still low and building doesn't cost an arm and a leg. good luck where ever you go, I am from NC and the snow whould stop all movement down there, not here. sue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
960 Posts
I liked NY, but OMG, the land was SO pricy. I'm glad to be down south again (the snow was too much for me! :D) but the land $$$ and the regulations about EVERYTHING really were incentives for me to move on to someplace else.

Cait (who was in Columbia County, NY)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
Go far enough north in NY, like Clinton Co. on the Canadian/Vermont border, and the land is cheap, with hardly any regulations to deal with. Expect loong winters with some periods of 20-40 below wind chills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
I live 30 min north of Syracuse. Ive only missed one day of work due to snow. We got 83 inches in 36 hours. THIS IS NOT NORMAL. I dont want to scare anyone. Land $ isnt too bad. I bought my house and 43 acres for $95.000. Most of the people that live here are nice. Ive only had one problem neighbor(she moved here from Mass.). Her dog was eating my chickens and she refused to do anything about it.SSS. I Wouldnt move away from here, Its the best.

Countrygoalie where abouts are you from? Im about 10 miles from Lake Ontario in Parish.

Jake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hadn't thought much about Maine but I will look into it now, thanks! I am originally from NC and you're right about what happens down there when it snows.

sue currin said:
Ever thought about Maine? it is great the winters are cold but they keep the roads clear. Land is still around 500,00 an acer and the people are nice. I'v been here a year, but just got to move in the farm last week and all ready have had help unloading my things and help with heading up a spring, and some fish droped off. the nerest store is only 15 miles away. the price of rough cut wood is still low and building doesn't cost an arm and a leg. good luck where ever you go, I am from NC and the snow whould stop all movement down there, not here. sue
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top