Where to go?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chrisntiff, Jan 2, 2006.

1. chrisntiff

chrisntiff Well-Known Member

My wife and I have pretty much decided to move from our present location. We only have an acre here and the area is becoming way to congested. We currently live in Frederick county in Maryland. We like the seasons here and would kind of like to live in the same type area. I think we are zone 6 and we only get about 40 or 50 inches a snow a year. We would like to have at least 10 acres so we could have about 5 acres pasture and 5 acres wooded. We would appreciate any input on locations and pricing that you all know of. Thanks,

Chris

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Depends on whether you're retired or not. If retired, I'd strongly suggest WV. Property west of the Appalachians is reasonable. Forget the eastern panhandle. You should be able to sell your MD property and buy more acreage in WV and have money left plus have a relatively short move.

3. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

You might get better input if you provide a few more details about your needs and wants. Do you need to work or are you retired (Darrens question)? If you need to work what sort of work do you do or are you willing to consider? Do you want raw land or do you want something with a house on it? You indicate that you are currently zone 6 but you don't indicate which zones or types of climate you want.

Mike

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Which big town are you near? How far toward Pgh would you need to be for the area to be bearable congestion wise? I think about settling in the Pgh-DC route area but unsure if I could afford or put up with it.

5. luckysranch

luckysranch Well-Known Member

We used to live in Frederick county near Jefferson. Then moved to Taneytown in Carroll county and bought a small farmette, but our commute was just to long to Gaithersburg and N. VA. So we sold everything and moved to Missouri. Better land prices than West Virginia. About the same weather, but a littler milder in the winter at our place in the Ozarks. If you still want to be near a metropolitan area, look at Springfield. You can be just 15 minutes outside the city and have a nice, affordable country place! Here is the MLS for Springfield http://springfield.rapmls.com/

6. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

We lived in Washington County (Boonesboro) and moved to TN and find it is very much like MD. We are on the Plateau here so are cooler in the summer. This is Zone 6 also but we don't get nearly as much snow as we did in MD. Flat land is at a premium but wooded, hilly is still reasonable. Rita

7. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

wherever you are looking, make certain you check out zoning and "land use" regulations....and make sure there are no "land use" regulations planned....

In many counties around big cities they are doing all kinds of land restrictions...so you would be hampered if you wanted to keep your own animals, build your own home, etc.

The further you are from big cities the better as far as I can see. BEST WISHES!

8. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I'm in Pittsburgh, but grew up near Frederick County, MD, and have also lived in Philly. I would recommend almost anywhere in PA (except for Philly and its immediate surrounds). Generally MUCH cheaper than MD, beautiful all over, 4 lovely seasons, each one long enough to appreciate but not too long or severe to get sick of. WV is also great, and even cheaper than PA generally.

But what are you looking for specifically? Are jobs an issue? Check realtor.com for basic ideas on available housing/acreage prices. There are lots of other sites I'm sure people here will provide that are more specific to land/acreage.

good luck.