Where to give a shot

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Bunbun, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Bunbun

Bunbun Well-Known Member

I need to give my pygmy Pennacillin and am wondering where is the best loaction to give it in? I'm guessing the rear?
    Well I posted about the bump on my goats neck a while back and today finally got a vet up here to see her and Ultra sound my QH mare. The vet said the it prolly was just a clot from being butted or somthing and got infected. He lanced it open so now I have to give the shot and treat the open wound.

Thanx for your help
    Stacey

BTW my QH mare is pregnat! Hopefully she will have a flashy paint next year

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

eather up between the front shoulder blaids or in the loose skin behind the front leg right at the bend, pull the skin up to make a tent and put the needle down inside the loos pocket,

3. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

BunBun: Penicillin needs to be given subcutaneously (just under the skin, not in the muscle). KSALguy knows the best places. Just don't repeat it in the same exact place for the next shot if more than one is needed.
    Good luck!
    - Kathy

4. Bunbun

Bunbun Well-Known Member

Yes I know I need to switch the location. But I know one of my friends did her horse and it came back out around the needle. Is there a way to prevent that from happening?
    Thanx for the Help. I'm going to tackel this in the morn!

5. Bunbun

Bunbun Well-Known Member

DO you mean the bend at the sholder or lower by the knee?

6. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

Giving these guys shots is HORRIBLE

Im going thru the penicillian thing right now also...I have to leave the room & my friend is coming over at 9 am and 7pm to do them..my hubby and I cant stand the screaming! BREAKS our hearts!

7. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

In the "elbow" area-where the front leg meets the rib cage-that little flap of skin there-easy to pull a little tent up-insert needle into that tent from the side-"it would wiggle around in there"-don't go all the way through-inject slowly-you will get a bump-meds shouldn't run back out. Goats should have ALL shots sub-q-just too easy to cause damage w/muscle shots in the back legs!

8. Bunbun

Bunbun Well-Known Member

OK thanx you guys I went over to my friends today and she gave the shot in the elbow area because I found the skin to be looser ther.She Jumped Quite alot but I think I too big of a needle for her but I'm going to get a smaller needle today befor I give her the second shot.

Mailck
    I guess I am lucky thet she didnt scream. That would break my heart Also

9. Bunbun

Bunbun Well-Known Member

Well Just to let you all know thanx alot for all your help I gave Her my first shot today and the bf held her for me she took it like a trooper. I got her a 20 guage 1/2inch needle it worked great not jumping or fighting. Thanx again everyone
    Stacey