Where to get Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Boss Cooker, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Boss Cooker

Boss Cooker Well-Known Member

Maybe this is an odd question.
    We and a group of friends have acess to an island in The Spring River. At Hardy Arkansas. We would like to get two goats to munch the grass and weeds. We don't want to milk them.
    How much can we expect to pay for them?
    Are there health isues like shots that need to be done?
    And, is there anyone near Hardy that has any for sale?
    :nerd:

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

you could get a couple weithers or a Doe with kids pretty cheap at the sale barn, how deep is the river? what is on the island? how big is the island? if the river is deep enough the goats will stay but what about prediters?
    i wouldnt spend much at all on something like this, go to a sale barn and find the wildest Spanish type goat you can find,
    are there going to be any holding/catch pens for when you need to take the animal off the island?
    also is this government property or privat property? if its government public property i am sure there are some sort of rules and regulations,
    other than that i would just be concerned about preditors swimming over for an easy meal

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Also be aware that goats will eat any plantings that you especially like. :rolleyes: \

Since you are not looking for dairy, I agree that Spanish might be a good choice for you. But if it were me, I'd look for an animal I could walk up to. A wild animal be be hard to take care of and much less enjoyable to own, imo.

mary

4. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Theres a sale between Mammoth Springs AR, and West Plains, MO on 63 Hwy that sells goats the first Saturday of the month. That would be your best bet if you are wanting brush goats. They usually have quite a selection. Scotts Auction Barn.

5. Boss Cooker

Boss Cooker Well-Known Member

:hobbyhors Thankyou. The island is private, so the "man" won't have anything to say. We plan on spending time with the goats so they will be easier to manage. The island is about a mile + - long and 50 to 100 feet wide.
    I have passed the sale barn on the way to West Plains. Just didn't think about it.
    I will pass this great information on to the other members of our group this afternoon while cooling down at the river. :dance: