Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to insulate my home and really want to get away from toxic building supplies. Do any of you know where I could get cheap/free wool for insulation? I'm in Indiananpolis but am willing to drive for the right price. Do any of you know meat shepherd who'd like to get rid of some extra wool this spring?

·
Premium Member
29,035 Posts
Just a question because I know nothing about using real wool for house insulation. Won't real, unwashed wool, which may contain fecal and bedding debris along with insects and other stuff, eventually break down and become more of a problem than the recycled denim insulation that is readily available? There are all kinds of bugs that love to feast on wool fibers.

My grandparents had wool rugs, I know if the rugs were not cleaned regularly they would get bugs in them. Carpet beetles, dust mites and certain moths love wool fibers.

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
One time we went to visit my grandmother who lived several states away. That night we got ready for bed, and found the wool blankets on the beds were full of worms! Gramma was embarrassed, mom was appalled, and we kids thought it was great fun.

Mon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts