Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheres the best place to buy heirloom seeds? I want a quality product for the best price. I get loads of catalogs already. The big ones like Gurneys,Burpee etc.. I am looking for a large variety of plants. Links would be great! I can google all kinds of stuff, im looking for sites that people have actually bought from, and then actually grew the seed. Why did you buy from the place you did? Would you buy again?

I feel like the best bang for my buck would be heirloom seeds. I normaly buy seed from the feed mill or the dollar store. I prefer to grow my own starts instead of buying transplants in the spring. Although i do buy some transplants, especially those that always miss the sprinkler or ones that are severely root bound. These are always an easy fix and normaly get them at 1/2 off or less.

Im considering growing tobacco this year. I found this site www.seedman.com They list many varieties of tobacco. To those of you that have grown it do you have any tips or advice? Suggestion on a variety? Techniques for drying/curing?

Thanks
Keep your powder dry

·
Registered
842 Posts
We just placed an order from www.heirloomacresseeds.com

They were very competitive with pricing and are a small family business. In the past we have ordered from Baker Creek. They were fine, but we wanted to try a different outfit this year. Thought about ordering from Seed Savers Exchange, but they are very expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
I love http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pages/seed_catalog.html
They don't promise to rush things to you, their catalog has no pictures, but their prices are great, their customer service ROCKS and they have an unbelievable selection.
All their packets are marked 15 seeds, but I got from 30 to 100 in every packet and a couple of hundred for the lettuce (Tom Thumb, I love those mini-heads). Get your order in early. They ran short of a couple of things I wanted, but substituted generously. If you'd like a specific substitute in case they run out, just make sure it's the same price and they'll send your second choice. If you don't they'll still send something interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
don't fix it". Gonna stick with and support Baker creek methinks have had very good results with their seeds..:)

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Might not be a bad idea to check daves garden on some I saw mentioned (and I dont know how to post a link, sorry) but one mentioned I had VERY bad luck with.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Thanks for the links! we have use grow organic, and baker before and both had good service.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Fedco is our choice for seeds. They have both hybrid and non-hybrids, and they tell you where they were grown.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts