Where to find Pilgrim Geese?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by RockPrairie, May 8, 2005.

1. RockPrairie

RockPrairie Member

I'd like to order some Pilgrim geese. Any recommendations?

2. L@lly in N.E. OK

L@lly in N.E. OK Member

I got mine from Metzer Farms in California: www.metzerfarms.com

I also have eggs for sale at $4 each and goslings for $8 each.

Photos at: http://oerganix.tripod.com/seramasandmore/

Lilly, now in western Nebraska

3. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Well RP, firstly I'd ask what do you want them for? Just pets, show, weeders etc.

Then I'd ask "where the heck are you? " ;)

And then I would suggest that you catch up on what's happening with the mess in shipping these days. The closer to home you can get them right now, the better off you are.

Idon't know what is happening with the big hatcheries
    right now but you might check out their websites to see. I don't deal with them but I know that many people on this forum have and have been happy with their purchases. Is it Metzers, Ideal etc?

I am thinking of some very small geese next spring and I am hoping that things improve by then. It's been the pits.

I am thinking that your best bet right now would be to get to a Poultry Show in your county. You will meet breeders there and see the geese they raise first hand.And make contacts close to home.

Your County Extension Service will know who to put you in contact with for info.

And then, you can pop over to The Poultry Connection( www.poultryconnection.com) and click on their LINKS option and head to "waterfowl". You will find breeders listed there. It's just a matter of whether they could get the goslings to you or not.

IF you click on The Waterfowl Exhibition Forum there and also the Poultry Forum you will get an update on what's happening with this shipping mess.

Good luck with your search.

LQ

4. L@lly in N.E. OK

L@lly in N.E. OK Member

Since you are in Washington, you might try Holderreads in Oregon:

Holderread's Waterfowl Farm and Preservation Center
    PO Box 492
    Corvallis, OR 97339
    541-929-5338

They're pretty pricey, but have a great reputation, especially if you want show quality. (Although, there isn't much difference between show quality and standard Pilgrims.)

Lilly, now in western Nebraska

5. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I bought 10 from Ideal. http://www.ideal-poultry.com/
    They are almost 4 weeks old now. I kept them in the brooder for only 2 weeks (most of the last week without the light on)... they go so big, I moved them to a holding pen in our barn, and 2 days ago, put them in a separate part of the coop area. If they were fully feathered, I'd start letting them free range, but they aren't yet. Really fast growing!

Pat

6. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

I have been looking for pilgrim geese in and around New York State. I am interested in gettin 6-8 for pets. I currently have 5, 3 emdens and 2 toulouse. I have been told Pilgrims are much calmer and more friendly than other breeds. I sure hope so. Mine are holy terrors right now. NO one is allowed in their yard including me mommagoose.

7. RockPrairie

RockPrairie Member

Shortly after posting this question, I ordered three pilgrims from a small store in Graham, WA. After several months they arrived (late summer '05). I had ordered one male & two females. One of the females died within 15 minutes of picking them up. The others grew up fast & were a pleasure to raise. This spring Sarah & Thomas left the ducks and chickens for their own enclosure. I purchased a calf hutch and filled it with shavings and straw. This morning two of her goslings have hatched, two are peeping, and their are hopefully more on the way!
    Thomas has been moderately aggressive to me. He prioritizes threats; if I enter alone he's a little upset but will not bite. When my wife approaches, he's on the move to run her off, and if Kelsi (one of 3 dogs) is near the fence he'll back her up 5' by pure intimidation.
    So, my wife wasn't too pleased to hear goslings might be on the way. Of course that changed as soon as she candled the eggs, and now that they're hatching she's prouder than the goose!

8. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

Congratulations to you and the proud goose parents!

9. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Thanks for updating. Give us more info.

10. RockPrairie

RockPrairie Member

Thamas & Sarah had four goslings (two males & two females). It is unbelievable how fast they grew in one month.
    They have a large enclosure, but typically squeeze under the gates to eat the clover in the front yard.
    Our dogs ignore them completely, as they do with most of our birds. Kelsi will help round up birds, but only under supervision. We keep it "work" and not "play". Kelsi will "play" with our rooster (see avatar) if we let the chickens out. She loves to have him chase her. She encourages him like a young dog will an older dog, with no rough housing (approach, ready stance, then run away).
    Once the goslings are feathered, I plan to swap a pair (male & felmale) with my friend and neighbor "Sunmo". Then I'll try to sell all four as breeding pairs. I wont be broken hearted if I cant sell them all.
    Here are some photos.
    Sarah in her hutch, with the 1 day old goslings.
    http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/RockPrairie/P5020007.jpg
    Sarah with her gosllings near the pool and waterer.
    http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/RockPrairie/P5030010.jpg
    Again at 6 days.
    http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/RockPrairie/P5070012.jpg
    Thomas & Sarah with all four goslings.
    http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/RockPrairie/Gooseadd.jpg

PS - Thanks for the photobucket link. I may have gone overboard

11. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Wow, that last picture of Thomas, Sarah and the babies needs to be on the front of a magazine! What a really nice picture!

12. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

What a beautiful goose family. You must be so happy with them. Sarah looks just like my Willow, just over a year old and also a new mom. Unfortunately the late, unlamented gander was a crossbred and very nasty... so this years goslings will be for the table. Except, of course, the Pilgrim pair from Holderread's.

It would be terrific if people with purebred Pilgrims could swap eggs to strengthen the gene pool for the breed. They are such nice geese and are gaining popularity.... It is a shame that so often they are less fertile than they might be due to inbreeding.

13. RockPrairie

RockPrairie Member

By swapping with my neighbor I hope we can avoid those kinds of problems. I'll probably order another pair in a year or two so we can keep mixin' it up.

14. Sunmo

Sunmo Well-Known Member

I'm on the local volunteer fire department for 4 or 5 years with this one guy that grows Pilgrim Geese. We agree to swap a pair to increase the genetic diversity and vitality of each of our flocks. On this forum I read that there's another guy in western WA (RockPrairie) that grows Pilgrims and is swaping with his neighbor.

OK, the wheels start to turn. I'm thinkin' "Hey, here's two more guys that can participate in our breeding diversity program that live really close to me". Then it suddenly dawns on me that my fire fighting buddy has a large grass prarie out his back yard that he just completed fencing and it's full of big rocks.

It's a small world. Guess I can't talk RockPrairie into volunteering for the local fire department again, can I? Congratulations to RockPrarie--he's graduating from EMT School on the 20th of June. He'll be one of only 5 Emergency Medical Technicians in the local volunteer fire department answering emergency calls.

His Khaki Campbell Duck also hatched 15 eggs yesterday. Since I gave him that duck last year, maybe he'll post some pictures of the offspring.

15. RockPrairie

RockPrairie Member

Sarah & Thomas produced another 4 goslings this year; two males & two females. I've been very pleased with these two and sell their goslings every year. Last year some friends bought a couple from me to eat and were very pleased.
    I haven't tried this since I'm not a fan of plucking birds.