where to find local healthy dairy goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wildhorse, Jan 12, 2007.

1. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

Ive been looking. What about local dairys do they sell anything but culls?If I get started in goats I want a good clean bill of health. What questions should I ask and what do I look for and how current should there vet checks be? Ozark wish you were closer...youve got a nice looking healthy crew.

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Well..... lets see. Ask here first off then at dairygoatinfo.com . Drive around , post flyers at the feed store. Call your local extention office. Go to the ADGA website to find breeders in your area.

Ask folks questions. Ask if they test for CAE or Cl , ask to see the paper work. Take a good look at the goats do they look healthy ? if you have a goat friend nearby TAKE them.

Lots of dairys are not going to sell good milkers , alot of small people will not. A cull may not give enough milk to keep her in the line up but may be fine for you. You may want to go with a bottle baby and expect milk next year .

Don't be affraid to take a road trip. My 6 new girls came from 2 different herds and I drove at least 6 hours each way to get them so at least 24 hours total. It was well worth it.

Patty

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I fly them in also! : ) In n.e. Indiana I've got goats that were born in Mi,Oh,Tx,Pa,Wy,and Co!

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

wildhorse i don't know how far you are from emily but if you like her animals than you might visit her. i drove for my animals through half the usa. i went to texas, wyoming (three times) newyork twice, oklahoma twice as well. i want to see animals and talk to breeder (unfortunately did not prevent me from making mistakes the first time)
    make yourself familiar with management and ask how others are doing it.
    there are so many different managed dairies that it is hard to say if it is good to buy or not.

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Have you checked the AGS and ADGA registeries to find the breeders in your area? Or goat clubs/4-h clubs? I'd opt for someone who's been into breeding for awhile, who maintains a responsible and healthy herd, who can show CAE neg tests, no abscesses, etc. And can show you goats in good weight and coat, bright with no signs of respiratory or other problems, does with good udders.

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, if your ever out this way you are more than welcome to come by. :) We'd love to have you!
    *Depending* on the dairy...it might be a decent place to buy and it might not. Some are good goat *breeders* and some are simply poor *owners*. It could either be a way to get some really bad goats and problems or some good ones...totally depends on the individual dairy. And its the same for show breeders, backyard breeders, etc. There are good and bad in all. Don't make the mistake of just thinking they will be healthy because they come from a show herd.....there are as many cheats in the show business as elsewhere. No offense to anyone. :)
    If you have someone who knows goats...take them along!! They can be of a lot of help. Take a walk through the herd your considering. Do a hands on look-see. Check for lumps, bumps or scars, especially in the lymph node areas such as under the ear, chest/neck-area, on the side in front of the hind leg, around the udder. You DO NOT want CL.
    You want to see goats that are bright-eyed, alert, clean-tailed, and healthy-looking.
    This time of year in chilly areas you may not find slick coats or shiny hair because all the goats are wearing their winter coats. But if your looking in the warmer months, look for those signs as well.
    Take your time and get want you want...don't buy the first goat you see that looks healthy. Good luck and as I said, your welcome to come for a visit! Boer Kids start dropping this week and Dairy does start popping the beginning of February. :)

7. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

My goats will be kidding in the next three weeks, if your interested first visit my website and then just give me a call. My phone # is on the website. If your in N.C mountain you probably live close to me...come and visit.

8. LMonty

LMonty Well-Known Member

if youre in NC, check out beaverdamgoats.com. Paula is in Lincolnton NC, she got me started in goats, she's been my "goat mentor" since about 1998 and I'm honored to call her a friend. I highly recommend her and her stock.

9. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find some in BC lately, and what I've noticed about dairies is..... they want to wait until after kidding to let any go now. They've spent money and time raising these does all winter and want the kids. Sadly I could use them now!

10. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the good advice. :) I contacted a lady that gave me the names and numbers for the Piedmont Dairy Goat Assoc and Ive found a few local numbers. My hubby thinks Ive lost my mind but he said if its what I really want. :) Im going to down size on horses. Im thinking about getting 2 nubian does.
    Im getting to excited. :dance: