Where to find land in the country??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kstornado11, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

Awhile back there was a thread w/ a bunch of links to sites w/ land/homes in the country, but I can't seem to locate it. :shrug: I think one was
    "United Country" or something...? We are currently renting, but hope to get our own place sometime in the near future, and after living in the country, can't ever see going back to town.
    Anyone know? Thanks!

2. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Type in United Country Real Estate .com and you find the site.

3. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Our experience has been that MOST country land is never listed by a realtor.

4. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

5. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

We found our land thru an ad in the paper, not thru a realtor even tho we had a few looking for us. We spent every weekend driving to sites we'd read about, looking in community newspapers, etc.

Was worth the search!

Patty

6. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Most land is never listed. That way the locals can pretty much control who moves into the area, and keep undesirables out.
    Since realators have to accept a offer by law, the owners know this and if you go up and ask around, they can meet the person looking and if they don't like the type of person they are they don't violate the law if they tell ya i don't know of any for sale.

7. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

LOL In other words look where ya wanna be and then ask the owner!
    (wish someone would ask me!)

8. gunslinger598

gunslinger598 Well-Known Member

in this neck of the woods much land is sold by word of mouth alone. If you want the best deal get in the area you want to buy and beat the brush's a lil bit. If something is available someone will point ya in the right direction. Around here it's not uncommon for both parties to just meet at the court house and do the transaction. Save a bit by cutting the middle men. helps to know a few things though like a title search and insurance. Good luck

9. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I went to the area that we wanted land, and I tried with all of the realtors.

But the land they had was terrible and pricey?

When I finally began calling the phone numbers on signs nailed to trees, was when I truly found what land is for sale.

10. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

There is 10 Acres over by me that is for sale by owner, has a nice one acre lake a house, two car garage, and a shed.

11. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

Since we were looking in a state that the real estate laws differ greatly from what we have here, we chose to use a broker with considerable experience in that area. He nailed a few good matches and we got a good education.

12. watcher

watcher de oppresso liber

Look on the Barter Board here there are places listed for sale. In a shameless plug, I have 23 acres in north middle TN for sale. I have a post on the barter board with a like to a website for it. I do have enough shame not to post the website here but if someone were to ask. . .

13. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

I let it be known the general area we were looking in and word traveled. A man in my dad's church turned out to "remember" he had bought some acrerage back in the 70's in that area. Now were going to look at it over Thanksgiving.

14. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

I have an "extra" 10 acres... ;)

On using agents or Realtors... the comment on them having to take an offer is a little misleading. It is true that they can't discriminate but neither can you. Of course, you can just say you don't like that seller's offer. You can do this whether or not you have an agent involved BUT be prepared for a savvy agent to say, well bud, you may not like this offer but it's within the range that we discussed and now you owe me a commission! Of course if you know exactly who you want to exclude from your potential sales pool, the other thing you can do is tell the agent the names of those people you will NOT pay a commission on. Then they won't be so excited to bring you their offers. ;)

Around here I think most of the "country" folk that have land for sale don't want to use agents because they do just fine without them and/or they don't like to get complicated and they don't like city folk tellin' them how to sell stuff. Or else they don't want to see their equity going out the window in 10%+ commissions (on land). I know several folks that will just tell a few well-chosen people they have land available and in a couple of months they're at the closing table for the price they wanted.