Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out where I should look for a dairy heifer (to milk), beef heifer (milk/meat) or even just a steer to raise and eat. We live in south central KS and I want to avoid the sale barn since I don't know much about cattle yet. I thought I would start with a small animal so I can learn as the animal grows. Thanks, Erin

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
Contact you local feed store for help....Your Vet, extention agent, or just start visiting farms that raise the breed your looking for....Sale barns are fine place to look, just buy something weaned and 90% of your worries are behind you.....Topside

·
Udderly Happy!
2,866 Posts
IMHO, if a person is willing to wait on the product, getting a younger one and hand gentling is a good way to go about it. Being able to get them used to human activity while they're at the feed trough can be done slowly versus post calving for a heifer where things are new and nerves are bundled up. They seem to be a lot less startled about being handled if they're used to it during the pregnancy.
I've got a couple of heifers from UpNorth and would highly recommend them for their health and dispositions. They are good looking cattle that have body conditions that could easily be compared to beef cattle of their age. Also, these critters have been bred to maintain well on a grass-based diet which makes them easier on the pocket book to have around. They do well on less grain than some of my other dairy cattle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts