Homesteading Forum banner

Where to find bulk cover crop seed?

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  random 
#1 ·
Johnny's & Baker Creek both back ordered. Thanks!

#2 ·

Both of these are located an hour from my farm. I know people who work at each company.

#6 ·
Albert Lea Seeds in southern MN is a really neat seed supplier, they cater to oddball seeds as well as a garden section and a good business of organic and regular farm crop seed.

they do ship, so it might be worth checking out. They have many individual cover crops, and several interesting blends.

many cover crops end up having a small grain or grass or clover seed in them which are just being harvested now, need to be cleaned and tested and bagged.

so, your timing might be poor to need it ‘right now’, could be the issue?

cover crops have become popular again, so are in big demand.

Paul

#14 ·
There is enough time yet this fall for it to grow enough to keep weeds from growing and keep the soil from washing away in the fall rain. The frost will kill it and provide ground protection through the winter and can be tilled in next spring. It just depends on your purpose for growing a cover crop.

#16 ·
Wildlife corn is available in 20 and 40 pound bags. I usually get 20 pounds each fall for the wild rabbits. They never eat all that.

The cheap birdseed has a lot of those red seeds in it. It's some sort of grassy grain. I just pulled a bunch of those sprouts from under my bird feeder.

Just thinking outside the box a bit for alternative solutions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.