Where to find a pattern for?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Where can I find patterns for Western Shirts (men) and Western Dresses (girls/ladies)? Also Renaissance Patterns for men, women and girls clothes?

I know ya'll know. :)

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Ken:

Heres a couple of websites that sell and discuss patterns for Western and Renaissance clothes. Most of the big pattern companies, McCalls, butterick etc.
    make basic historical patterns that can be adapted by any good seamstress. The problem with most commercial patterns is that they try to get the look but cut a lot of corners and the construction is not at all historical. The effect is usually rather flimsy and cheesy. You will do much better if you try to find some books on theatrical and historical construction of clothes. I used to do a lot of historical costume work and can send you a bibliograpy of some useful books that you can probably find at the library or for sale on amazon. Send me a PM and I can put a quick list together. If you tell me the sort of Renaisance look you are after I will have a better idea if which books. Renaissance clothes arent that hard to make, the shapes are pretty basic. Its the underpinings and the trim that really make the difference. And dont skimp on the fabric. It doesnt have to be expensive but dont try to create Henry the Eighth with cotton fabric from the Walmart. Its got to have some weight and body to look right. I used to use a lot of corduroy which isnt expensive but has the right sort of drape and looks rich because of the nap. Heavy fleece velours will substitute for velvet if you pick it right. If you give me an idea of what you are after exactly, I can send you some specific sources and patterns. Id be glad to help. You might find these two sites useful:

http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/static/costume-patterns.htm

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~rowen/renbk/rendressbook.html#anchor62313

3. RAC

RAC Guest

You want "authentic looking close up" for re-enactments, or more along the lines of costumes.

Most of the major pattern companies have costume sections in the backs of their pattern books--they aren't too concerned about using elastic for clothing that was in a time prior to the use of it....

One pattern maker that specializes in Renaissance clothing is Folkwear. I don't know if they sell direct to the public. This is one online store that sells them

http://www.birchstreetclothing.com

Folkwear Patterns will recommend fabric/notions that are more "period correct", and you will see drawstring casings instead of elastic.

You might also want to go to the Society for Creative Anachronism:

http://www.sca.org/

and check out the Arts and Sciences for clothing info. Also, some of the major Ren Faires have websites that often have clothing information.

Hope this helps.

4. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

5. mimsmommy

mimsmommy Active Member

Amazon drygoods company sells a whole range of specialty patterns for any timeperiod. they only sell through a catalog which costs a little bit.

I found several Folkwear patterns( which are great!) on ebay. I got them for less than 1/2 price including the shipping. They do sell direct from their website-- but at $15 per pattern, it's too pricey for me.
    Another good option for western/square dancing patterns is to look through the vintage lots of patterns on ebay. I collect patterns from the 30-50's and have found some beautiful ones on that specialty. they don;t sell as well as the formal/evening women's do, so you can get them for a good price. Just be sure to ask the person to count the pieces or you could get a not-so-good deal.

mimsmommy

6. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Folkwear has good 19th C. mens stuff. For authentic rennsaissance stuff... eh, email me. I'll give you the full list, but i need to type if up from my handout. ^_^

Cait the SCAdian ^_^

7. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

check out the SCA site for RenFaire Garb...

My daughter has made several pieces from links on that site...

also.................... if you get involved with the local Chapter of the SCA (like any of us have the time)... they have classes on making authentic garb...

also the choice of fabric makes a difference... that is how I met some of the local SCA Members... at walmart... digging thru fabric, I knew by the choices they were making... that it was for garb...

do a little research.. and you will be surprized..

Lynn in Texas

8. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

9. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links. I've added them to favorites. Basically my wife is on the "IF I want quality clothes I'll make them myself" kick. She bought me a Western shirt and it ripped after 2 washings. Hence the need for patterns. We attend the Ren Faire over in Concord, NC every year. WE have considered working there this year so my wife (Stella) has plans to out fit the whole family in period costume. Gee I can't wait :no: LOL

Kenneth

10. stickinthemud

stickinthemud Well-Known Member Supporter

www.SuitAbility.com
    They sell patterns for equestrians- riding clothes for English, Western, sidesaddle, and even horse blankets, etc.
    My daughter made her Western show clothes from their patterns.
    (she makes period costumes & will love this thread!)

CW