Where to buy specific breed

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jackie c, Nov 29, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I just finished reading the lean thread and its got me thinking about where I could buy a specific breed.
    Buying a piglet last year was fortunate for me, as they are rarley advertised for sale. I inquired at the local co-op as to who might have piglets, and found someone through that. But I would like to buy a lean-breed, but have no idea where to look for a pure or specific breed. To keep hassles to a minimum would prefer a Canadian breeder. Any ideas, or where I could look for this info? Thanks.
    Jackie

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Check with breed associations. I know Canada has their own for many breeds of cattle, so I imagine they have them for hogs too. They should be able to give you some names/numbers of people who raise that breed.

Check with feed stores and ask who raises hogs.

Check with sale barns.

Check where you got your pig last year. Even if you don't want that breed, they might know who else has pigs.

Jena

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thanks Jena, I've found about ten to choose from now.

4. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested in Tamworths, you could contact the Tamworth Association here:

Tamworth Swine Association
    Greencastle Indiana
    USA

I don't think they have a website.

( This post is partly to respond to a PM I was sent about this, I was unable to post a repy for reasons unknown to me)

5. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Jackie,
    We will be having TamWorths available in the mid spring ,,, guilt is due in mid feb.
    These are the true heritage breed tamworths not the new breed of tamworths that is hitting the market these days ,,,,, long ,, lean, great mothers & gentle boars.
    WE are located on the N.C. Va. border right in the middle of the state ,
    you can reach us Directly via e-mail at
    beeeman at charter.net
    Thanks
    Rick

6. sue-b

sue-b Member

Tamworth are on the list of being Rare (fewer than 1000 annual North American registrations and estimated fewer than 5000 global population)by The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy. You may find more information and registered brader or these Tamworth at www.albc-usa.org.

7. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

Yes ALBC has a breeder's list, but I believe that you have to be a member to get one.

Another place to look is the Heritage Breeds Conservancy website's "marketplace" page. http://www.nehbc.org/market.html

8. Kirby Greene, MscD

Kirby Greene, MscD the Old Buck