Where to buy seeds and fruit trees-Northern Maine

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Quiver0f10, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy our veggie seeds and want to order some berries and fruit trees.

Thanks!

2. Nina

Nina Well-Known Member

I'd think Johnny's Selected Seeds in Albion, ME, would have the short season varieties most likely to do well in northern gardens. www.johnnyseeds.com They've got the world's best catalogue, and are selling berries this year.
    Stark Bro's is my personal favorite for fruit trees. Seems they're working through Amazon now!

3. Nina

Nina Well-Known Member

4. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

I use Fedco Seeds out there in Maine. They have a HUGE variety of seeds and the shipping for anything (other than trees or potatoes) is only $1.75. You can find them on the web at: fedcoseeds.com/ I also use Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds, they have a nice variety of old time seeds and they also have a very low shipping cost. You can request a Fedco tree catalog, but I haven't had any experience with the tree dept.

5. Idahofarmergal

Idahofarmergal Well-Known Member

I order seeds, trees, berries, potatoes, etc. from Fedco, and they are all very good quality. However, their tree order deadline is March 5. It may be worth waiting a year, though, because their plants are proven hardy in Maine. They outline in their catalog which varieties are only southern Maine hardy and which are hardy anywhere.