where to buy goat meat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by longhorngal, Aug 20, 2005.

1. longhorngal

longhorngal Well-Known Member Supporter

HI all,
    I'm new here and new to goats.
    I see alot of people raise Boers but have yet to see any goat meat ( I guess it's always called chevron?) for sale anywhere? Where is this generally sold?
    Thanks,
    Cara

2. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Cara,

they package the entire goat. The butcher will ask you how you want it cut.

Usually there are two cuts you get from at the Mexican market.. whole leg (have them cut it into steaks) or cut up pieces.

I assume you are asking cause you are considering raising goats? purchase one and have the seller help-show you how to butcher it yourself. Buy one and take it home and butcher it. Butchers out just like a deer, not hard.

3. longhorngal

Thanks,actually I just want to try it. I don't think I'll ever be able to raise and butcher out my own. I'm still trying to get my husband to butcher (is that the right term?) chickens for me. It's amazing that he goes deer and elk hunting but says he doesn't want to kill chickens we've raised! Guess I'll have to learn that one myself.
    Cara

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

cara,

butchering chickens isn't hard.. actually the hardest part is making the decision you are going to do it.

5. JayinCT

JayinCT Well-Known Member

I'm glad you say it's not hard. Must be from it being my chore growing up that I hate to do it today. I don't mind doing two or three, but anymore than that and I'm cursing all afternoon. Those wet feathers sticking to your hands, trying to be sure the bird is clean inside, don't break the innerds, ect. I wish we had a place local in CT where we could have our birds done for us. I would raise some Xrocks. I love fresh chicken, I just hate to clean them Sorry to get off the subject here.

6. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Goat meat is also called cabrito here. Been trying to see if I could find it grinded up like burger meat but no luck in Austin.

Ted

7. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

grinding, most butchers will be able to do that for you.

I have a meat saw and a grinder (northern tools sells it) and I use it all the time. I wish I had a grinder that could grind bone into meal.. that is next.

8. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

youll are so toughhhhh people, I just cant imagine butchering anything! I am a softee...i know , i know,,,, yes i eat steak and hamburger but I dont raise cattle....mind over matter.....i would never work out on fear factor, but youll would!!!! bless you!

9. Blue Oak Ranch

Blue Oak Ranch Well-Known Member

Butchering isn't that hard - the hardest parts are actually making the cut and then dealing with the flapping and bleeding.

My ranch webpage has a detailed section on hand processing poultry -

http://www.freetimesw.com/blueoakranch/pasturedpoultry/turkeyprocessing.htm

You'll see it isn't really all that messy or bloody if you have the right setup.

Cheers!

Katherine

Blue Oak Ranch

10. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

GREAT!!!!!! site!

come on over.. I have 2 doz. to do. <smile>

11. longhorngal

12. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...I sell meat goats mostly to the mexican population here in arkansas. i sell them live as it is illegal to sell them already dressed out here. I have not ate goat myself yet but do have 2 kinder bucklings here and if I dont sell them off soon I will be sending them to the butcher. I raise these lil guys on bottle so i can cross over the market and also offer them as pets/brush goats so being i tended them since born no way could I dress them out myself....now chickens, ducks, bunnies and such no problem lol.....dale anne

13. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Most butcher shops will grind your cabrito into sausage or hamburger meat if you ask. But if your goat is small it is much more cost effective to do it yourself. I only took my goats to the butcher shop when I had a hog and a goat to do together. I would get cuts of meat from each and have goat/pork sausage made at the same time. With poultry, as soon as the head and feathers are off, it looks like food and it is easy to do. same with any meat animal really. I thank the animal for giving it's life, make sure it is calm and happy, never tense or frightened, then quickly kill it. Just remember that what you buy in the store probably did not receive that much respect....Diane