Where to buy bottle calves this spring?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by RyleeM, Nov 30, 2004.

1. RyleeM

RyleeM Active Member

Hi,
    My husband and I are putting a down payment on a farm in early late Feb, early March. It has six acres and a barn with pens(farm needs lots of work - barn is best thing on place). He works for a small feedlot (7,000 head +/-). He is going to bring me any calves that are born to heiffers, but if i am lucky, i imagine that i will only get five. There are no dairies around here. Where do you all get your bottle calves?

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

My DH does farrier work for a large ranch & is friendly with some of the cowboys, so whenever they have an orphan calf, they call to see if he wants to buy it. We used to buy them from dairies, but these pasture calves are much healthier. The worst thing you can do is buy one at a sale or from a calf trader.

3. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Ask the local large animal vets for references, and post notices at their offices that you buy calves. Local feedmill or feedstores should know whose doing what as well. I went thru my local yellow pages for farms, ranches, cattle breeders and actually located some animals that way, strange as it seems.