where to buy amish jeans (barndoors???)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, Dec 6, 2006.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

My SO would LOVE to have a pair of amish pants and I've been trying to find them....or a pattern....for him for Christmas. I can't ask him too much about it or he'll figure it out, but I remember him mentioning them as "barn doors" or something like that, and said he had a pair once that he bought somewhere in Indiana. Goshen, maybe??

Any ideas??? Amish don't have websites, so "googling" hasn't helped.... :)

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

3. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

4. cc-rider

Ah, I found it! One of those pages had a blog on it, and I read the blog and someone mentioned Gohn Brothers in Middlebury IN, which according to mapquest, is right near Goshen. Gotta be the same place he was talking about! That's less than a 3 hour drive from here..... hmmmmm....

Thanks!
    CC

5. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a pattern for them if you are interested in making them. It is for a 34 - 36 waist. They are easy to adjust, just add the same amount all around. That is the only kind of work pant my DH will wear anymore. I make them out of a tri-blend denim (can only buy at amish stores) and they last a long time. Much longer than any store bought pants I have seen.

If you are going to Goshen, drive on to Berne (a few miles). Right on the main drag there is a fabric store and last time I was in there they had the pants for sale in several sizes. If you want the road and name of the store I can ask my DH. I can't remember, he will.

Good luck
    Joanie

6. River

River Well-Known Member

CC:

Gohn Bros. sends out a printed catalog, so you can get their products by mail order.

Note: Amish broadfalls do not have back pockets. However, Brethren men wear broadfalls with back pockets. So you need to consider what you are buying. Gohn Bros. will put pockets on their pants if your husband so wishes.

River

7. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I went to the plainlydressed site and noticed they had an ebay store, so as a newbie ebayer, I clicked on the link and they only had two items up.... one was a Victoria's Secret bra thingie...

Now until now I never would have thought about VS and plainly dressed, together... :rolleyes: learn something every day!

8. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

You can order the pattern here........... http://www.friendspatterns.net/page13.html

Don't know if you'd get it in time to make it, but at least you can give him the pattern and tell him pants are coming. Or wait for his birthday to give him the pants.

9. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

What is tri-blend?

10. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

11. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh Yea! Edible panties that taste like apple strudel. Yum Yum!

12. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

The tri-blend denim lasts so much longer than any other denim I have seen. You can buy it mail order from Spectors fabric store for about $10.00 a yard. I know, it is expensive, but the pants really last.

13. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We have purchased pants and other items from Gohn brothers off and on for over 20 years and have always been pleased with the items. I really like my buggy umbrella that my wife got me for Christmas many years ago--I use it as a regular umbrella, it is just a nicely made oversize umbrella that has held up well over the years, and is actually big enough for 2 people at a rainy flea market or other outdoor activity.

14. cc-rider

Well, I made it to Gohn's today! What a great store! The lady was so helpful. I ended up with a pair of broadfall pants, suspenders, a hat (it was so cute...had to buy it!), a new belt for my treadle sewing machine that broke 20 years ago and I could never find one, and a quilt batting. Good haul, huh?

Then I stopped in Shipshewanna and saw a really neat 14X30 log cabin for $16K!!!!! They'll deliver to Ohio, too........

Now if I can figure out how to afford it, I'd buy it!