Where the heck is spring???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Its -20 C (-2F) here right now, and I'm sick of this horrible winter. Its snowed more here than in the laast 15 years and I've burned nearly three times the fire wood I normally do. All you folks from the deep south, how about flapping a fan, your arms, what ever and send some of those nice temps up here, I promise to do the same when it gets sweltering hot down there OK?

2. Breezie

Breezie Active Member

I know what you mean, Jackie! I'm in sw Virginia, and it's snowing as I type this. Yesterday it was 62 degrees. Now it's 34 and it feels like 24, according to the weather site.

I've been cussin' and fussin' all morning![​IMG]

3. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Well, the thermometer on my front porch said 80 on Sunday, although it was in direct sunlight. I'd say it was at least 60 out then. Yesterday, it was in the 60's all day, and 50 overnight. This morning as I was driving in to work through the rain, there were frogs hopping across the road everywhere. Spring is definitely on her way here in Northern Virginia. Of course we had six inches of snow last Monday, and we are supposed to get another inch tonight. I hope the frogs don't freeze.

4. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

Wandering Oak, look out your window again. That nice little warm rain has turned into a flippin' blizzard. Where in the world did this snow come from? I bet Jackie C sent it down from Ontario. Shame on you.

5. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Snow here in Augusta County.........................We didn't have a white Christmas here but the way it looks, we may have a white Easter!! :haha:

6. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Egad! Where did that come from? Don't you just love March? I think I'm going to have groundhog for dinner tonight- it's all his fault.

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

thats winter in ontario! my 45th one ,so far normal!usually we have a white st.pat's then a good melt till april 1 then snow then spring!don't get me wrong i would rather be tilling,spreading and planting now too!! oh i almost forgot mud season!!

8. jackie c

I had onion sets in the ground last year April 15, this year I'll be lucky if they get in before May 15!

9. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

To answer the original question, and I know this isn't what you wanted to commiserate about.

Yes, spring IS here, blossoms and all, right here in Vancouver, BC, that's also in Canada -- for all those in eastern Canada.

Canada is the country north of USA, with dog sleds, Mounties, and all that. BC is the state, only it's called a Province, and BC means B-R-I-T-I-S-H (you know like the place where Tony Blair -- the guy who helped you in the war -- is from) and C-O-L-U-M-B-I-A (like the river between WA and OR -- you know the Columbia Gorge -- wind surfers and rock concerts).

It's on the west coast, north though, it's not California, nicer than CA, even though CA is very nice.

And, that's where sweet spring is right now.

Alex

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

It's what the locals call an 'old fashioned normal' winter in N. Western Ontario. Pretty average with some more than normal snowcover. It was cold like this last year, but was a milder January. The ground frost isn't that deep and the lakes having less ice depth, so if it wams up fast in April it should be good to go with ground work.
    Hang in there, jackie. soon enough we'll be complaining about black flies and mosquitoes. :haha:

11. fordson major

yep knew guys with corn in the ground last year mid april just got poped up then got hit by the last frost!! ihope we all get spring soon !! got lots to do at the farmers market before opening. moonwolfs right soon we will complain its to buggy ,hot andto much grass to mow!!still the early winter and someone helping them selves to some of our wood has seen the wood pile dip awfully low!!!

12. jackie c

NO NO NO, I never complain about heat, bugs, or mowing. I'd rather be mowing than shovelling snow. Trying to stay warm is a alot harder than it is to cool off in summer. Use good fly repelant and the bugs are not a problem.

13. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Jackie C, but we used your spring here during the past few months. Now we're starting on ours. Looks like you won't get one this year...

14. fordson major

:haha: yep i'm with you jackie!! lots easier to get cool than warm!!sitting at a balmy -15 with wind chill right now that chills right to the bones!! my wife had to work a water break yesterday from 2pm till 10;30 came home a little lump of ice!! still warms you up reading all the seed catalogues and planning the garden! still telling ross i'm going to till up the back field for market fodder!! :D he just see's the hoeing :( and rock picking!!oh and with 300 sheepies the grass is not a problem!!

15. jackie c

Now you just stop that! :(

16. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Actually Jackie, I sold our spring to jerneeon so that the snow would last longer for good cross country skiing and snowshoeing followed by poor sledding in the slush well into July and from there get our REAL winter so we could keep busy choping wood. :eek: :haha:

17. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I think some of that spring up there in BC has drifted down here. We are in Southern Oregon, just on the eastern edge of the Cascade Mountains (the dry side), at about four thousand feet elevation. We haven't lived here long enough to really know what is normal, but last year at this time we still had snow on the ground. This year it's running in the sixties (still freezing at night, though), and the daffodils are coming up. One of my friends, who lives at a slightly lower elevation and is on the south-facing side of a hill, said her daffs are about to bloom! I hope it stays like this for a while (and according to the forecast, it looks like it will), because my new goat is going to kid soon, and I'd really rather have babies born in weather like this than in snow drifts.

Last week we were over in the Willamette Valley to visit my sister and pick up the new goat, and the flowering plums were in bloom, also some quince and camelias. The new grass was tall enough to graze, and we heard frogs singing. I almost didn't want to come home!

Kathleen

18. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Seems like all we have had this winter,, is Spring.. if that makes any since. Not any winter to speak of, so far. Could really use a little rain.

But have to say, I do not miss the NH winters!! Too cold for this person.

19. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Its a balmy 71 here in Vancouver Washington thats USA. The flowering plums are in full bloom my peas are up and going crazy :haha: the daffies are full and so purty....jealous and mad now??? So sorry everyones weather is so icky you can keep it :p

20. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

Well according to the Hebrew calendar this is a leap year with an extra month that falls before spring.

:)

Mike