Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,311 Posts
If you provide more info on your project, you will get more responses in this forum.

·
Registered
976 Posts
We remodeled in '18, my best advice is to move out, gut it, make it what you want, and be done with it. Doing a little at a time is long, expensive, messy, and you never get a break from it. It's always looming. Seth

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
In order of importance I would rank:
a. Roof to keep you dry
b. Decent exterior wall sheathing, windows and doors to keep weather out and keep your things secure.
c. A reliable electrical service.
d. Reliable well or water service, plus waste (septic or sewer) disposal.
d. Your heat source, AC can be lived without, but becomes highly desired in may climates.
e. Bathroom
f. Kitchen
g. Laundry
h. Bedrooms and living / dining spaces.
i. Garages and out buildings (much more important in cold climates)
j. Luxury items; TV, internet, outside living spaces such as patios, etc.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
How's the foundation?
I always start there before remodeling or building.

·
Super Moderator
3,338 Posts
We are in the process right now of doing this. I say to start at the deepest need....clean out the home of all belongings you do not want or can't save after a thorough inspection of your home..including foundation, wall, floor etc..overall condition.... Then decide the way you wish to remodel...is this just with paint, new appliances and flooring changes? Light fixtures, faucets, etc.... What do you want to get done? We have not been living in our home for 7 years while we took our sons out of state to finish their college as they were homeschooled here. Our home needed updating when we bought it 14 years ago. Being that it is on an island with no stores or businesses means you haul what you need to remodel your home with on your own boat or pay for the barge fees. We have use of a 31 footer so we are doing it a section at a time. I highly recommend this as it is way cheaper if you give yourself a bit of time, decide what style you want...look for things lightly used and folks to give things away free...always check your local craigslist free section, facebook free and used items. Find out if you can discounts on lumber and supplies....

We are staying here while we work on our home every weekend and this last time we have been here for 10 days. We have our grown kids join us every weekend. What we have gotten done here is amazing. All the faucets, a toilet, first half of the huge deck, pressure washing roof, two huge flat bed trucks were driven to the once a year dumpster day today!!! That was only $260 for two huge loads! Our home has been getting painted in every room, replaced the dishwasher, a nice overhead fan light combo to take the place of the old microwave, our daughter repurposed our old pale heavy duty pine coffee table. We moved out our nice leather couch with double built in recliners, I am blackening our wood stove. We have emptied every cabinet, drawer etc...walls, ceiling floors...all getting cleaned and redone. So far what we spent we did so well on...budget buys. Like new items barely used....new blinds on huge windows....we have to rip up the vinyl flooring and do some repairs but will be doing that after we move back in. We are ripping up the upstairs carpet next weekend. We have been given things...our son in law got our wood with his company discount. Our son just picked up a free table saw today! My client I no longer clean for just gave me this epic French Sideboard antique which my son will pick up and bring to the marina next week! Sorry there is stuff on it in the pic they sent me. The picture is in the house they are removing it from and remodeling themselves they rent out.

In combination with some rodent damage of course, a breakin, some theft.....very little damage from the mice though to our home...a few holes we patched up. The main issue was throwing away every mattress from age alone and all towels, bedding, clothes, pillows, furniture is all being switched out. Ongoing, I saved up for this and so far we have spent $4,000 but what we have done is worth so much more in value. People around us are shocked at how fast this is going. Thankfully our kids are all talented....mechanic, painter/remodel trained musician, designer daughter and her hubby who do it all to their own home builder, mechanic etc and another daughter who paints... We are moving into this house by Sept 1st regardless of how far we get. Our mortgage is so low you can't rent a shack for the pmt we have now. The pic below is the center of our view., Now look at the best aspects of your home and be inspired.

sunset in blues.jpg
61793189646__D45BB662-5E71-487F-87DF-E43AE8FE61A7 (2).jpeg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts