Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That if one is to get an excruiating toothache that no pain meds will touch, it will happen immediatley after all the dentists close for the weekend?

:Bawling: :badmood:

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Do you have cloves in your spice cabinet? Chewing on one to make it pulpy and then packing around the tooth with it can relieve some of the worst pain.

Alternatively, swish around the tooth with a mouthful of the most powerful liquor you can find -- whiskey is good, sweet stuff like liqueurs shouldn't be used for this. Straight vodka or rum can work -- the whiskey is best though. Take a mouthful, "drown" the tooth in it for up to a minute, just holding it in the appropriate side of your mouth, and then swallow. Repeat as you need to, but don't plan on going out if you have to drive ;)

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tracy,

I never have cloves in as I don't like them, and the strongest alcohol in the house is wine. :eek:

I have found some relief from putting peroxide (diluted) on it, but it only lasts a few minutes.

I read on another site that pulverizing garlic with sea salt and packing it in will help...I do NOT advise this...it made the pain level shoot through the roof so badly I was pouring in sweat, I like garlic and I have a pretty high pain tolerance (and I'm not much of a sweater either). :Bawling:

I remembered that I still had some Tramadol from when my back was out, and that is helping a little, though not enough, and I only have 2 left. :(

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
This is an instruction that may need translating - but if you have any soluble aspirin (don't know if you call it that - I know you call paracetamol something different ;) ) in your med cupboard, you can grind it into a powder and place it on the area.

Depending on what painkiller you have already taken of course

hoggie

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks hoggie, I'm a Brit (from Lancashire) so no translation needed :)

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i needed a root canal once...during the labor day weekend. i know where you are coming from. it took lots of boo-hooing, but i finally got a prescription for just enough codeine to last until i could get in to a dentist when the holiday weekend was over.

man...nothing is more miserable than a bad tooth and no help. you can't lay down to sleep and you get tired of standing or sitting. over the counter meds just won't touch the pain.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Oh boy do I feel for you. Does your dentist not see you for emergencies on a weekend? I'm used to dentists giving emergency phone numbers to their patients for weekends. Of course sometimes the dentist is completely out of town himself. But if your dentist doesn't want you to reach him/her on weekends then its time to find a new one.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh boy do I feel for you. Does your dentist not see you for emergencies on a weekend? I'm used to dentists giving emergency phone numbers to their patients for weekends. Of course sometimes the dentist is completely out of town himself. But if your dentist doesn't want you to reach him/her on weekends then its time to find a new one.
We moved recently, and I haven't found a new dentist locally.

I guess I'm about to :eek: :)

·
loves all critters
1,048 Posts
Go to the emergency room. You need antibiotics before the tooth can be removed, or fixed.They can also give you pain medicine. Although from experience, the pain will not go away until the infection is gone. I was in this position 3 weeks ago. I feel for you, will say a prayer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts