Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...That women should not wear pants? I would think that my 2 sisters, no wife or daughters (here) would be more protected if they did wear pants. An attack by a sinful outsider would require at least one hand to remove such. This would allow the female a second hand to defend herself, a clear advantage. I do not understand this illogical approach to womens fashions.

So women have a shape that is alluring to males, what else is new? The presence of two leg encasements is far more protective that a garment that has no bottom. I find that a woman that wears pants to be logical as well as convenient.

What is the allurement? I don't think anyone beyond the third grade has any problem with that one, hopefully its junior high before such is attempted.

But back to the basic question, where does it say such should not happen, regardless of the garage doors position?

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Funny you should mention that, a friend and I were just having this discussion.\

Short answer: It doesn't say anything about pants. There is a passage in deuteronomy that says women should not wear men's clothes, and vice versa. What its talking about is transvestitism. Some people interpret it to mean women shouldn't wear pants.

However, for one thing, at the time it was written, men wore dresses, like they still do in much of the middle east. So go figure.

Secondly, there is a passage in 1 Timothy that says women should wear modest clothing. Which makes it relevant to all cultures, since modesty is something that changes somewhat with different societies. Pants can be modest or immodest, as can dresses. So this wouldn't specifically exclude the wearing of pants.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I doesn't. In fact it was about 200 years after the new testament was written that men started wearing pants. It was completely outside of the cultural environment, so it wouldn't have been mentioned... any more than computers, telephones, or automobiles would have been mentioned.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
That is simple...it doesn't. The closest you can get is one in Deuteronomy that says not to dress like the opposite sex. At the time that was written pants weren't around and when they did develop it depended on the culture on who wore them...men women or both.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Deuteronomy 22:5

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man,neither shall a man put on a woman's garment:for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

big rockpile

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Chuck said:
Funny you should mention that, a friend and I were just having this discussion.\

Short answer: It doesn't say anything about pants. There is a passage in deuteronomy that says women should not wear men's clothes, and vice versa. What its talking about is transvestitism. Some people interpret it to mean women shouldn't wear pants.

However, for one thing, at the time it was written, men wore dresses, like they still do in much of the middle east. So go figure.

Secondly, there is a passage in 1 Timothy that says women should wear modest clothing. Which makes it relevant to all cultures, since modesty is something that changes somewhat with different societies. Pants can be modest or immodest, as can dresses. So this wouldn't specifically exclude the wearing of pants.
I believe this explanation that Chuck has made is more in line with what the Holy Word Of God is saying.

Also Jesus Christ wore a robe according to history and not pants. :shrug:

bumpus

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How can a statement that antique be applied to todays fashions? It was stated back when all people wore robe style garments, before the invention of pants. There is no application of that orientation.

I am sure people of that era did have differentiations of their garments, possibly lighter colors, shapes, whatever. If it was written that all people wear only clothing on their right side, would be wearing the clothing on the left side be a sin? The application of logic here is about equal.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
I dont know, Rock, isnt that subject to interpretation? At that time, men did wear robes, or dresses if you want to call them that. So, what did the women of that time wear? I believe it means simply, as another said, the wearing of clothes as a transvite would do. As I'm sure everyone knows God was plain on Men being Men, and Women being Women, and all that pertains to.
But, on the practical side, on a farm, I;m sure I'm much more modest hiking my leg to crawl over a fence- in pants instead of a dress. or, using my shirt to hold vegetables coming from the garden.(nope, no apron!) And as Mitch said--we women can run faster in pants!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Knew a Girl you couldn't tell her from a Man.I knew her as a kid and she always dressed this way.

Don't hold me to this but I think it has something to do with the second coming.

I know with our Church women wear Dresses,don't cut Hair,or wear Makeup and no Tatoos.Some do but it is looked down on.

big rockpile

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Deuteronomy 22:5
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man,neither shall a man put on a woman's garment:for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

This verse proves that even back when it was written there were different clothes worn by men and women, and they were not to wear the others clothing.

It just does not say what they look like but the people living back then knew the difference, and they know the difference today.

bumpus

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
We are a modest family. I do not think the Bible dictates we HAVE to wear dresses. But I do feel most modest when we wear them, so that is OUR belief. I don't think all women are suppose to wear them. I think it is personal to each person what modesty means to them.
Since we wear only knee length or longer dresses and skirts, we get taken to task alot about it from other Christians. I find this upsetting that Christians would want to pick apart what the Lord has laid on my heart. I do not think we are all told to do the same thing....this is why we aren't all missionaries, wearing veils, preachers or modest dressers. Lord has a plan for all of us. But for some Christians that means their way is the ONLY way. Certainly not for us. I am the only one of the people I know who dresses this way in our group of friends, even in the this neighborhood. We respect others rights to choose for their families. Its a shame it is not given back to us. But that is between them and God.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
big rockpile said:
Knew a Girl you couldn't tell her from a Man.I knew her as a kid and she always dressed this way.

Don't hold me to this but I think it has something to do with the second coming.

I know with our Church women wear Dresses,don't cut Hair,or wear Makeup and no Tatoos.Some do but it is looked down on.

big rockpile
If a person becomes a Christian and got a tattoo a year before a Christian, what do they have to do to be welcome in your church without being looked down on ?

Would cutting there arm of make them feel better or would they look different and now they are not made welcome because they are not a whole physical person because they are handicap.

What if a person has tattoos all over there body. How could they ever become a Christian and feel welcome in a Church like this that looks down on people.

Saul consented to the killing of Christians and also cause many Christians to deny Christ and they lost there salvation and went to Hell.

Later he became a Christian and was called Paul and was welcome everywhere and The Lord Jesus Christ used him in many ways.

bumpus

·
Super Moderator
16,510 Posts
You could not PAY my husband to wear my pants, because they are womens pants. They are made for a woman, and worn by a woman. They are womens clothes.

'Nuff said!

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
Chuck got it in one. The issue isn't one of dresses specifically, it's one of wearing clothes "belonging" to the other gender. This is a discussion in the context of Jewish law, as well- there are some additional issues in that context, relating to Talmudic laws of tzniut (modesty), but people have differing views. It didn't used to be all that uncommon for Modern Orthodox women to wear trousers, but observance has tended to swing more toward conservative interpretations in the last few years, so now it's becoming less common (related to this is the issue of covering hair). Different Orthodox communities observe different chumrot, or stringencies in their observance; if you know the customs of particular groups, you can sometimes tell to which group someone belongs based on their mode of dress. Personally, I'm not sure that's an especially good thing, as I think it just sows further divisions within the Jewish community, but then there are those who would tell me that if everyone would just "follow the rules," it wouldn't be an issue.

I have some friends who follow tzniut fairly stringently, others who don't bother with it at all, and others who adopt a modified approach (i.e. "Is this outfit considered modest by today's standards?"). It doesn't really affect me one way or the other, so I say more power to anyone who wants to adopt this particular set of mitzvot/chumrot. Obviously, if/when I visit an Orthodox home or synagogue, I play by their rules and wear long-ish skirts, cover my elbows, et cetera.

·
Registered
948 Posts
MicheleMomof4 said:
Since we wear only knee length or longer dresses and skirts, we get taken to task alot about it from other Christians.
How so? Do the others think only ankle-length is acceptable? Or do they complain that you're *too* modest? Just trying to understand what the complaint could be.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
We are told we are being unrealistic in the modern world. We get ask alot how we handle bike riding, trampoline and such activities the girls do that would mean to their children to wear shorts or pants. They wear bloomers under their dress or skirts, not leggings. As we feel the leggings are too tight and form fitting. We get told we are legalistic about it. Which really confuses me. :(
But I don't think its a mandate for all Christians. And I do let my children play with others who don't dress like them. It is just something I have prayed about and feel God has made it so for our family. :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
HEY!

What's with the tattoo comment!?

R

P.S. I feel an "old law, new law" discussion brewing

L

·
0 Posts
Chuck said:
There is a passage in deuteronomy that says women should not wear men's clothes, and vice versa. What its talking about is transvestitism.
At last! Someone who interprets it the same way I do. When I tell people it's referring to transvestites, they look at me like I have 3 heads.

L

·
0 Posts
big rockpile said:
What church do you go to? That sounds like the one I was raised in.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts