Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've often thought many of the problems of this world would be resolved if people just "played" more often with their neighbors. Like old fashioned barn dances or block parties...
In my community, for example, we had a Smoker on Saturday night. The American Legion (or rather the Sons of the Legion as the Legionnaires are getting ancient) puts on a feed for the opening day of deer season every year.
Pork, beef, German potato salad, baked beans, turkey and everyone's favorite; lamb fries. With cocktail sauce.
Can't be beat!

We squeezed 250 people in our VFW building (more people than we have in town, btw! lol)
We eat until we're stuffed and then sit around and drink beer, play poker, throw dice, and mostly talk, laugh and enjoy the company of friends and neighbors until late.

Kids are everywhere.
Running around outside playing hide and seek in the dark, reading in little clusters back in the corner, racing through the tables until an adult (that might or might not actually be related) tells them to 'go back outside if they want to run!', gathered around ancient Eddie B. telling him stories, and as mentioned, playing Barbies under the craps table. :)

It's much like old barn dances were. (Though if you want to actually dance, you have to come to our Fireman's Ball in October. ;) ) But we do this kind of thing throughout the year.
New Years, for example, is very similar to a Smoker but there'll also be board games scattered throughout the room and it'll last well into the wee hours of the morning.

Not to mention going to the bar on a regular basis for supper. Who knows who you might run into that you'll sit and chat with while eating your burger? Guaranteed you'll be glad you did, though.

I just feel so blessed to have a community that believes in fostering the community spirit. I had to share. :)

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
we have some of that here too, and is a big reason we are settling here. love when those kids are running free, no worries on evil-doings! they can be kids! we had a benefit for a friend recently, and my hubby, me, some other ppl were singing to hubby and friend's guitar and harmonica playing. laid back,simple, REAL. pot luck set out on the pool table til everyone was full. tons of loud laughter, jokes, even some small pranks. wind up staying too late, but its so worth it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have no idea what 'lamb fries' are, and honestly I'm a little scared to ask. I might add that whatever happened under the craps table, the pool table or the coat check room for that matter, stays there. The Mrs. reads this board don't ya know.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Not even on a drunken dare. (insert pukie face smiley) I'd as soon eat a deep fried pigs butt (even if you never gave them a fancied up name like pig rings or something like that) as any critters hangy downs. What's up with you northern folks eatin really weird things. I believe Minnersota folks eat some kind of nasty soundin fish. Jellied fish or smelly fish or somethi.......Cabin Fever, what is that vile picean concoction you folks go all buggy over. What's wrong with rolling them in a little corn meal and slipping them in a skillet a hot fat till they are golden, crispy and snuggled up to some cole slaw and hush puppies?
Fried hangy downs indeed. Mark my words Erin, there is a price to be paid for chompin on golden nuggets. Oh, and dear mercy, I don't want to hear what you might be dipping them in. Some foods can strip the seasoning even off of a cast iron stomach.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts