Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Missin Sweet Home Alabama
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading some posts on another forum and there was several people who took their dog everywhere, right into gas stations, home depot, and lots of other stores. Just got me kinda curious how many people take their dog into stores? Just as a note these where all large breed dogs, not toy breeds that you can just pick-up and carry.

I got to thinking about this and since I am working with Storm to get her traffic ready companion dog title, I have started taking her everywhere in the neighbor hood that I can. I figured that if the old ladies can take their toy breed dogs in stores, then there should be no problem with my dog, just because she is big. She is very well behaved and it surprised me that so many people where happy to see her at the gas station or the counter in the post office. I get a few odd looks sometimes, I think her size intimidates people until they realize she is well behaved, then most people come up and pet her.

So just out of curiosity, where do you take your dogs?

·
Registered
599 Posts
We take our Spanish Mastiffs to parades, art fairs, festivals, gift shops (I'm a sales rep for a giftware company), Greenhouses, the bank and goat shows. We even provide petting zoos for my business accounts that I take both the dogs and the goats to. It's a great way to socialize them!

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Bandit goes with us to sports events for the kids, to get animal food. anywhere he can go in the wintertime. In the summer its just so hot that I don't take him as much. He much prefers the ac then. When my dd worked at a horse barn I would take him down there sometimes. I took him on a walkathon the kids were doing last month. He was a huge hit and people could not keep their hands off him.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Check with the laws in your state. In my state it is illegal to take a dog into most places. I used to be able to take them to Jiffy Lube, the farm store, etc. Now the only place I can take them is to PetSmart, etc. Even if there is no sign posted saying "No Dogs," you still can't take them in. Here, dogs are pretty much only allowed if there is a sign on the door expressly welcoming them.

ETA: This only applies to buildings, etc. Of course my dogs go to lots of outdoor places!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I take my dog anywhere it doesn't say "NO Dogs". Once in a while I get asked to take her outside, but its pretty unusual. She is an Alaskan husky, about 50-60lb. If they say I can only take her in if I carry her, I just carry her lol.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I used to have a German Shepard that I took everywhere...Post Office, etc. but he had to stay in the car when I went to the store.

Our Huck loved to ride and we would take him to town, but again, he had to stay in the truck at stores, etc. He especially liked to go to Sonic 'cause they always brought him a treat.

The only place we take any of the dogs now is to the vet's and they are not particularly fond of going there!

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I don't really take mine anywhere. Trail riding with the horses is about it. I don't like leaving them alone in the car...I'm afraid some idiot will tease them to make them bark and get over excited (seen it happen) I would think it would be rude to take them into public business places...a lot of people are afraid and/or allergic to dogs. Plus kids might want to pet them and I don't want kid germs on my dogs.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I take mine to pet supply stores, building supply stores, the local hardware stores...no gas stations because of human health issues...but I have brought dogs into the waiting room when getting a vehicle serviced or tires. We also visit outdoor areas of restraunts, parades (but not in the rides area as we usually have a police officer tell us they cannot be in that area), local baseball games, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
I take my girlie most places. The grocery store she waits for me in the truck. Some places she goes in with me like the feed store. I hadn't thought about kid germs, lol, something to think about. I'd take her to work with me if I could :).

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I have had a few jobs I could take a dog to work with me...an office manager for an electrician, a courier and newspaper delivery. I could only take then with me on newspaper delivery when they could follow the command stay. Though my spoiled brat of a boy had one fav tree on the route that happened to be on the lawn of "the Perfects"....everything was always perfect and I would have to walk up thier drive and place the paper in a special decorated mail box....even when the weather was less than perfect and the drive was a sheet of ice. Not because they needed special service ( I have no issue with people who need the extra service and happily do it) but because they did not want the paper ruining the "perfect" look of thier front door. Not to mention they never once in 10 yrs did they tip. Normally, I would have chastised him and made his get back in the van before he stepped into the yard...but I just found it too fitting to demostrate the way I felt....and it was the only place he even tried to jump out the window or open the door while I was delivering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts