Where do you live? (photos)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by terriv, Apr 5, 2005.

1. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

Mississippi, near Jackson

[​IMG]

11 acres, house built 1920, barn, 2 shops, other out buildings, one horse, one rooster, dog, many cats, snake, hamster

We have had other animals (chickens, pig, goats, horses, rabbits) ..but they have all been pets. (Thou shalt not eat anything thou feeds and gives a name.)

Where do you live? (Post your photos of house, land, barn, view from your porch, whatever.)

2. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

this house is AWESOME!!! I'm so jealous, but happy for you. I can't believe how beautiful it is. I've already posted a hundred times where I live with pictures. You are so blessed to have that old house. When I dreamed about where I would live I imagined something just like that. Did you inherit it or find it and fix it up? What's the story?

3. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

Thank you. I'm sorry that I have missed your photos. I haven't been around long so I haven't see homes OR faces. Kept watching for them.

We moved here nearly 10 years ago fleeing older neighborhood-going-bad in the city. Luckily we moved before "development set in" and prices were still reasonable in the outlying areas. Even then we got a great deal. We bought this house in awful (did I say awful?) condition. It had plumbing dumping under the house, bad septic, leaky roof, 50 year old kitchen, etc. but it seemed HUGE then (empty ...pre-ebay business) and we loved the 11 acres. We bought it from an 80+ year old couple after seeing the ad in the paper. Now just by location it's worth 2 1/2 times what we paid.

I admit though that though it looks nice outside and the yard wonderful, inside it's not at all totally rennovated. We did the kitchen and upstairs baths, new septic, new AL roof (replaced tin), new wiring, new plumbing ...yet here and there plaster periodically crashes down in reasonable size chunks and there are rooms that haven't been painted in 30 years. I still love it though not beautiful inside. I love the heart pine floors and the sturdiness with which it's built on 8X8 hand hewn cedar beams, and the 48 (yes, 48) windows. They just do not build houses solid any more. Tax records say 1920 but some claim it's older.

Ideally, it would be a little further from the interstate though. Commercial potential... just keep thinking "way-future commercial potential". Our land backs up to an interstate on the back end. We planted 3000 trees to build a "wall". Around us people with somewhat larger tracts but houses 1960's to 1980's, mostly long time older residents.

Thanks. Post your's again, please.

4. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

P.S. What I REALLY appreciate though is an OLD YARD. Fruit trees, muscadines, daffodils, lilies, pecans, etc. (You sure don't get that in a new-cow-pasture-becomes-a-homestead neighborhood.)

~sp

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Just wondering IF your taxes have increased by 2 1\2 times what they were when you first purchased the property?? fordy :confused: :)

6. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

There's lots of pictures on my site...

http://solidrockranch.worldlife.net/farm1/

Go to the bottom of each page for the link to the next page. If the pics don't all load when it's done, just push refresh, and they will. I need to put up some new pics one of these days. But you can see the hill we live on, house, dogs & ponies. We just love it up here.

7. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

This is such a great idea. I really enjoy looking at people's farms and seeing how they do things. A pictures is worth a thousand words but many pictures are priceless.

We keep lots of good photos on our website www.mainegoats.com Please take a look.

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

ill take some of the house in va. but the house we are working on at the farm that we will be moveing to in sept.you can see at www.rushingtrail.com

9. Matt Black

Matt Black Out back

Here's our house, taken from about halfway down the driveway towards the road. We've got 20 acres of woods, mostly Oak a few Cedar and Hickory.

[​IMG]

10. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Here is my Shack,not as pretty as yours but warm and dry.

[​IMG]

big rockpile

11. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Wow terriv, you have one nice house.

Here is a picture of our new we Farm house. Need to take new pictures as we now have fence around the house, and starting to re fence other areas.
    The ugly tarp covered build to the left is the old cow shed, but it at least is dry inside and a safe place the put the miniature horses and donkey.

[​IMG]

http://hometown.aol.com/highlandcottage2/Highlandcottage.html

12. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

This is neat seeing other folks homes! Here's our place~
    [​IMG]

13. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

thats a beautiful home​

14. designer

designer Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Northern NC
    No land of our own, we live on part of my inlaw's farm. We have a doublewide.

15. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

Beautiful house! Lucky you!

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Terriv, I just love your house. I love old homes and wanted to find land that at least had an old homesite on it (hubby did not want an older home). We found the perfect place for us, but it's never had a house on it until we came along! Your place is beautiful, as is everyone's. I love seeing all the photos.

I've posted mine before too, but here it is again...we bought 96 acres in north MS south of Memphis three years ago. Had a house and barn built and moved onto the place last March. Been here a year and love it more every day!

You can see more photos of the place at www.funtigo.com/ravenlost. Photos of the farm are in the album "Hickahala Ranch".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The barn looks different now that the fencing is up!

17. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

Our house last summer. We have five acres, most of it in the back. The lot is 110 yards by 330 yards.

[​IMG]

(silly camera NEVER dates anything right, this was june of 2004)

18. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

[​IMG]

This is the view out our back door. It is 84 right now at 7:30 pm. To the left is the play yard for the daycare kids and to the right is my hydroponics garden.

19. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

Appraised in Tax Roll
    Land Value 46,120
    Improvement Value 47,980
    Total 94,100

Tax Assessment Value
    Land Value 4,612
    Improvement Value 4,798
    Total 9,410

Comps for actual sale value:
    As zoned residential:
    Land: @$8000 an acre (reasonable price for agri/res zoned for area) = $92,000
    House: @$95 a square foot (NEW construction price) $304,000
    Total: $396,000

Total actual comparative guesstimate of sale value as-is condition still needing interior renovation: $225,000-$250,000

Land only if rezoned commercial:
    Between: $175,500 - $310,000 (depending on who wants it).

We have 11.5+/- acres. My neighbor is asking $750,000 for 33 acre horse farm, and 74 acres two parcels over is listed at $2 million, old farm rezoned commercial.

Mississippi is a tax friendly state (and we wonder why we are bankrupt).

All that said ... My taxes are $730 a year. We bought it for $75,000 ten years ago. (Seemingly a wise decision.)

Wow! What great photos. I actually love the photo of yours Big Rock Pile ...and Wind In Her Hair has the house I would like to build. I do NOT like cookie cutter houses. Blah. I like old houses and log houses. I'll have to go to all the other links to catch up. Busy day. Teen got a driver's permit ...need I say more?

Where do you live Big Rock Pile? (state?)

20. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know why my pics are showing as red x's, but if you right click on the x and then click "Show Picture" they'll show up.