Where do you like to sell ?When?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by pilot_34, Oct 16, 2003.

1. pilot_34

pilot_34 Well-Known Member

We have a small livestock auction barn here in central Il but it doesn't really seem like we see very good prices there. Spring time sales seem a bit better but not much!

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Hi,

It depends on what you want to do with your sheep.

When I was breeding sheep, I raised a small rare breed. My farm sold only the best Breeding stock. Was extremely picky about the quality of my sheep.
    I made very good money selling top quality breeding stock. Mostly through my web site and through word of mouth.
    Also had a waiting list every year.

Sold their fleece to handspinners, and at the local yearly Spring Fair. Always sold everything I had each year. I still have people emailing me to try to buy fleece. If only I could get the other breeders to take care of the fleece,, I could sell it for them.. ah well....

Now, if you just want to raise meat sheep... in this area, it is mostly the ethnic market that one sells meat too. Small white Rams, sell the best. But it will be different in different areas.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have no idea what central Ill. is like. I sell my lambs either to the Halal butcher, as individual cuts at the farmers market, or as freezer orders direct. The sale barn is often your worst place to sell through. Some areas have a forward contract system set up to sell your best lambs to at a premium price. Even the little guy can use if for one or two lambs here in Ontario, (or at least you don't have to have hundreds of lambs) I havn't bothered with it as I get that price selling direct.