Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am planning a large vegetable garden this year and I was wondering who has the best selection of heirloom seeds.

Rob

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've purchased from both of them before. However, I've discovered I can by seeds at the end of the season from places like ACE Hardware VERY cheaply so don't use heirlooms much anymor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't think of anywhere besides Seed Savers Exchange (and you need a membership for full access) that has as good a selection as Baker Creek ( rareseeds dot com). They have over a thousand varieties, mostly heirloom, all open pollinated. They even have homesteader packages for large gardens.

·
garden guy
3,516 Posts
Get them from me on barter board at The rare seeds thread. Were a two acre farm family whose sole income has come from our produce this year.Lots of the big companies have been bought by Monsanto, some good ones I order from are Baker creek, Heirloom acres, seeds of change, Seed savers exchange. Their are still plenty of other good ones out there.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There are many out there. I have purchased seeds from around 20 different vendors. I've had good results with most. Like anything where you like the best I may have a bad experience at. The trouble with so many they don't grow all their seeds and buy from commercial sources. I've had some wrong seeds and most came from commercial sources. The first Cherokee Purple was wrong. And I've had some cross problems also. And then some like Sandhills don't upgrade their sites and everytime I order they are out of at least 1-2 varieties. And some send other varieties rather than sending money back. If you want to know my recommendations on my good and bad experiences send me a pm. Jay

·
Registered
499 Posts
I usually just go to my local feed store; sometimes I do buy from the ace hardware in the next town over as they have bulk seeds.

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
I've enjoyed ordering from http://www.artisticgardens.com/catalog/ for years. Their sample packs are a great way to test drive something different. I found "my bean" there. Bought it as a sampler several years ago and grew out some of my saved "stash" this year. It stores well in the fridge and freezes beautifully; best of all, no strings!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've enjoyed ordering from http://www.artisticgardens.com/catalog/ for years. Their sample packs are a great way to test drive something different. I found "my bean" there. Bought it as a sampler several years ago and grew out some of my saved "stash" this year. It stores well in the fridge and freezes beautifully; best of all, no strings!
Care to share which bean it is that you like? :)

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
Care to share which bean it is that you like? :)
Not at all: aiguille verte. Bushes produce copious amounts of thin beans in a short time. Due to circumstances beyond my control, my summer garden was 350 miles away; I didn't plant many and mulched but had to leave them to fend for themselves as you can see from the surrounding weeds.

We only had time to harvest once; the result is in the bowl.
(I planted some in my city garden 9/1 and had a decent crop before it got too cold.) Vendors at my Farmers' Market charge 2 or 3 times normal bean prices and sell out.

·
Microbe farmer
752 Posts
I've been looking for some beans. Man oh man, are they high priced! What I was hoping to do was plant enough to eat some, sell some and store some seed... but not at these prices. Is my only option to buy a few and save all I grow for seed?

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I've been looking for some beans. Man oh man, are they high priced! What I was hoping to do was plant enough to eat some, sell some and store some seed... but not at these prices. Is my only option to buy a few and save all I grow for seed?
Beans are expensive primarily due to shipping costs. I could mail 10,000 tomato seeds for less than 40-50 beans. One ounce of beans would require special packaging to protect them and cost $1.17 postage at package rate. Any price less than $2 for an ounce is a bargain.

And, there is no good reason why beans should not be a one-time purchase. Both bush and pole beans may return from 100 to 240 per each seed planted. How many one wants to plant the second year determines how many can be eaten the first year.

Martin

·
Registered
271 Posts
I really like http://www.bountifulgardens.org/ , JL Hudson Seedsman http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/VegetablesO-Z.htm, and Seeds Trust http://www.seedstrust.com/ also.

Im a member of SSE, I really loved How To Grow More Vegetables by Jeavons associated with who runs Bountiful Gardens, and found some good unusual things at JL and Seeds Trust. All with excellent germination rates.

the problem is I LOVE collecting (just thinned out some seeds), and can only grow so much, and am getting better at seed saving but still really respect and want to support several seed companies!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts