Where do you get health insurance?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Dianol, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Dianol

Dianol Well-Known Member

This is such a difficult topic, but DH and I are retireing (we hope) next year. (2008) He has worked for the same company for 31 years now and we have moved 5 times around the country, and he has been soooo loyal to this company. For the first 29 years, they would provide retiree health insurance for less than $200 a month, and we budgeted and saved for that plus a little more for inflation. Now, just a year before we are set to go, they have changed their formula and now retiree health insurance will cost almost $1000 per month. We are both in our mid fifties now, and, although we are in pretty good health, we both have a few issues that would probably prevent us from obtaining insurance in the open market. (His back surgery in 1995 and my breast cancer in 1989.)
    Right now, since he's still working, insurance is $300 per month for fairly decent coverage. I just don't know how we'll be able to retire and pay $1000 per month for ins. If we were back home on our wonderful few acres of heaven, he would not retire, but we are so unhappy where we are, and want and need to get back closer to family.....we miss our babies and grandbabies. Only other option is for him to retire or quit, and get another job, but jobs are not easy to get where we want to live plus the payscale would require an 60% pay cut ! <sigh>
    So, I was wondering...what does everyone else do for health insurance, how much is the monthly premium, who is your ins with, and how happy are you with it?

2. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Boy, this is so tough. I might quit work tommorow, try to budget carefully and get by on some part time work for extra money if it wasn't for health insurance. I have to continue working full-time to keep health insurance. Health insurance sucks...

3. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

What a rip OFF Gotta love corperate america.

4. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

My DH is self employed and we buy our own health ins. We currently pay $804 per month for ours from Golden Rule. It is a Health Savings Plan. We've had this company for about 2 years now and really like it. We've had others in the past but no HSA attached so had a lot of out of pocket expense since we seldom met our deductible. Now we can at least pay out of pocket expenses from our HSA. It is pricey but we don't want to not have coverage. We too are in our 50's and relatively healthy.

5. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

We have been without ins. for over a year. I retired and 2 weeks b/4 my last day to work, DH lost his job. Cobra wanted $1031/mo! For the 2 of us!

At first, we were so scared that something would happen, but so far so good. Figure we/ve saved over 12K, huh! :)

If we can get a small biz started, we'll check into the health ins for small businesses, I've heard that is pretty cheap. Also, there's some that offer a fairly cheap premium if you have not had a problem w/pre-existing conditions in a years time.

Our main concern is also DH back surgery in 2000 plus he 'spits out' kidney stones like olive pits!

Patty

6. Anita

Anita Well-Known Member

I retired early. My husband has numerous health problems. He did have the advantage of being on Medicare but my health insurance when I worked covered him and medicare was considered supplemental. So I had to find an insurance that would be supplemental to his medicare. I was able to keep insurance for myself through my employer but had to pay full premium but at least I got the group rate.

What I found for my husband was a Community Care Health plan that contracts with the government. This was for people who were on Medicare. However, they also have a regular Community Care Health plan for those who are not on Medicare. These plans are owned by two hospitals in our area and you must use their facilities and their doctors. It has worked great for my husband and we have great doctors.

Does your community or closest city have plans that the hospital own?

I know that I did a lot of looking and asking questions of other people who retired early what they did. That is how I found out about the plan for my husband.

Hope this helps.