Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried Walmart and couldn't find it. I did find it at drugstore.com, but it's $3.50 per bar which seems a little steep to me.

Where do you guys get Castile soap?

:) RedTartan <- wants to make some bubblebath and maybe some laundry detergent :)

·
I am a Christian American
2,974 Posts
I buy mine at Woodman's, a grocery store chain around wisconsin and I think Illinois. I buy it for .99 a bar so yes, 3.50 seems steep to me also. Do you perhaps have any bulk food stores run by Mennonites. they usually carry it also. Good luck! Hey, if worse comes to worse, I can mail you some.

L

·
0 Posts
We get ours at the supermarket. I'm not sure how much it is, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot less than $3.50/bar.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Kirk's Castile is NOT a real castile. Real Castile soap is soap made from olive oil produced in the Castile area of Italy.

2nd best is 100% Olive Oil soap.

I make a 100% Olive Oil soap (although it also uses 100% real fresh milk as the liquid - I wouldn't suggest mine with the milk for laundry)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Do you have a Lowes? It is in the plumbing section. Roebic is the brand. Make sure what you pick up is 100% sodium hydroxide or caustic soda.
If you are serious about learning how to make it then you will need to read and follow some basic safety procedures as it's pretty dangerous stuff, but nothing to fear with proper precautions.
How many bars would you like to make and I'll write you up a recipe. A recipe that makes at least two pounds would be best, as smaller than that requires very, very precise measurement. Do you have a kitchen scale? If so is it digital and will it do grams, or do you need the recipe in ounces? It is best to soap by weight. You can run into problems with a recipe by volume. A stick blender would be very helpful as well, but it can be done by hand with lots and lots of patience.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
RedTartan - what Hoovey said ... but if you still can't find lye, send me a PM. I buy in bulk and always have some around

1 - 10 of 10 Posts