Where do I buy a good fruit tree

Discussion in 'Home Gardens, Market Gardens, and Commercial Crops' started by w1651, Nov 12, 2016.

1. i8paintchips

i8paintchips Active Member

2. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

3. Beulah_Land

Beulah_Land Member

I encourage you to do some homework researching local nurseries. I am not far from McMinnville, TN which is the nursery capital of the country. Very often, Stark Brothers, Gurney, etc...purchase their stock from these nurseries, adding a significant markup to the trees they sell.

This is one I use:

http://www.warrencountynursery.com

You won't likely purchase mail order from them unless you are buying a lot of trees.

The other advantage of using a local nursery is that their stock will likely be better suited for your climatic conditions.

4. haypoint

Few local nurseries grow their own, many simply purchase bare root trees and pot them up for sale once they leaf out.

Most of the apple varieties that are commonly known (like the ones you can buy in the stores) require regular applications of insecticides. Some heritage varieties and a couple newer varieties are resistant to fungus, disease and a bit of insect resistance.

Or you can just eat around the fly eggs and worms.

5. Mike c

Mike c New Member

Also in NH and I have been very happy with Van Well nursery for orders of 50 or more, the prices are bwtween 8.50-10 per tree for 3/4" caliper. I am getting my spring order with 15 Baldwins (among others) for 8.90/tree.
    http://www.vanwell.net/sales/commercial-us-price-list

Another option is Maine's Scion Swap exchange in 2 weeks. Fedco will be there selling rootstock and people bring scionwood and they have free grafting lessons. This is also a great way to get some heritage varieties.
    http://www.mofga.org/Events/SeedSwapScionExchange/tabid/301/Default.aspx

haypoint likes this.
  6. pointsevenout

pointsevenout Well-Known Member

Scott's Orchard. Their buildings are in Alabama but the orchard is in Tennessee. All kinds of varietes of apples and peaches and maybe other stuff I'm unaware of. They are right on the border, north and west of Huntsville, Al.

7. ThistleMary

ThistleMary Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with tytyga.com; they offer a full one year guarantee on trees, and have honored that guarantee when I sent them a photo of the dead tree (giving me a credit for a new tree). Inexpensive way to increase your homestead orchard if you are looking at a 2-3 year window before fruit production is needed.

On the other hand, the fruit trees I bought from fastgrowingtrees.com (while more expensive), were hardier and larger, and produce earlier.

Like someone said, you get what you pay for.

8. haypoint

1/4 inch thick rootstocks $2.35 each raintree nursery.
    1/4 inch thick rootstocks $1.22 each when you buy 100. lawyer nursery

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  9. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

I really want to learn how to graft fruit trees. It seems so intimidating though

10. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I've had real good luck with Starkbros.

If you're going to order online I'd suggest finding one that grows them in a climate that is close yours. I did order some cherry trees that all died and the replacements died. I thought they were a cold climate grower but found out after the first trees arrived they were in Georgia. Too much of a shock to survive.

11. haypoint

MSU Extension has done trainings, check with them. It is about that time to graft.

12. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

I did not know that. Thank you for letting me know! I am in the process of moving so I will work on that for next year :) I am working with a blank slate and lots of places for new fruit trees :)

13. haypoint

Not too late. There is a free training on bridge grafting, done mainly to repair rodent damaged trees. Coming up in a week.
    http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/bridge_grafting_for_commercial_tree_fruit_workshop

LittleRedHen likes this.
  14. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in Baton Rouge, and there is a green early summer apple around here (climate like much of East Texas, zone 8b) with great flavor, but not locally sold anywhere I've looked. Sorry I don't have a name for it. I

15. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Today I picked up three pre-ordered peach trees that look great. The Conservation District for our county has a tree/shrub sale each spring as a fund raiser for special programs. Check your local district and get on the list for next year's listing.

16. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

We went to a local (well an hour & 1/2 away) nursery. I wanted to buy good trees that I knew would grow in my tough environment.