Where do I begin to revivie old well/pump?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by henry11417, Sep 11, 2004.

1. henry11417

henry11417 New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions.
    Originally built with a well (1955), our "new" house now has public water. But, the well and external pump (and storage tank and two filter tanks) remain, hooked up only to three hose bibs (plus faucets on the lines after each tank).
    Where do I begin to test and operate the system?
    The equipment looks at least thirty years old. We have ignored this system for two years (prior owners might have too).
    The electric pump (Franllin) fired up when I flipped the switch. Not wanting to run it dry, I imediately turned it off. How do I prime the pump, How do I get water to it test it if the well is dry?
    The well access (and it might be a cistern) (front yard near house) is a 3ft by 3ft concrete frame at grade topped with a pair of 1.5 ft by 3 ft by 6 inch concrete slabs. Moveable, but I am stopped by how much these slabs flake and crumble with first attempted movement.
    There are two lines (intake) running from the well to the pump (1.5 to 2 inch rubber), and two lines fr the pump to the storage tank (one 1/2 inch pipe and one small tube connecteing near top of storage tank to a roughly disc shaped valve - vacuum valve or pressure release valve?).
    Where do I begin? Thanks.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................First off I would Clean the Tops of the cement covers so that ....IF.... they break and fall into the cistern they WON"T have dirt and trash on them . Second I would pull the cement covers OFF and see if there is any water in the cistern. If , there IS, then you might want to try to see if the pump is going to bring water out of the tank . Next , if there is NO water in the tank, you want to run a hose over , if possible and partially FILL the tank and Then see if the pump is going to work . Also , by partially filling the tank and letting it sit for several days, covered of course, you will beable to determine ....IF....the tank has any leaks.......fordy.... :eek: :) :eek:

3. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Prime the pump by filling the outlet pipe with water from your current city water... the leathers in the pump may be worn, dry cracked and in need of replaced, since you know the pump turns over, the first inspection would be of the pump itself [ok if it is a piston type pump] then prime it, and turn it on while forcing water back down to the pump..... perhpas by filling the pressure tak you will achieve this.....

I agree with inspecting the cistern and cleaning off the old concrete, and perhaps even getting ready to make a new lid and replace the old one.....even ifvyou choose not to use the cistern.

William

4. henry11417

henry11417 New Member

Thanks again for your suggestions.
    I expect we have a cistern only and no well. I will temp redirect downspouts into cistern to fill it. NOW TO PUMP PRIMING... the two intake pipes are rubber hoses held in place with clamps. It will be easy to disconnect these and then conect hose to one or more five gallon buckets. Do I need to disconnect one, both, top, botom? WHy are there two intake hoses?
    Also,there is a plug on the top of pump near intakes. Too large to attach a threaded hose, though. WHat is this? clean out screen filter? Thank you all.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter