where did my goats came from?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by susanne, Nov 14, 2004.

1. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

last week i got my first nubian goats. today i found out that they have a tatoo in both ears. i don't know where they where breed. one ear has the letters CKS and the other ear has T6 in on goat and T3 the second goat. i realy would like to know more about them and why they where sold. the guy i got them from is mostly dealing with meat goats for the slaughter house. he did meet his buddy who is also a meat goat dealer on his way to PA. and he bought the two some where but don't remember where it was. he said probably in ohio. both were ment for meat. :waa:
    my two does are very sweet, very beautiful. one has a little bit her teeth sticking out but you only can see it if you look realy close. :rolleyes:
    where could i get info?

2. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

CKS is the identifying herd tattoo, but I really don't know if ADGA will give out that information on request or not. You could contact them and ask http://www.adga.org

The T6 and T3 means they were born in 2004, and were the 6th and 3rd kids born respectively.

Breeders cull for a variety of reasons. An improper bite would be one, or could just be simply too many goats and they needed to go. Hard to say.

Tracy

3. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Tracy gave you the basic information to help you out, and then the contact for ADGA. So with that to start with maybe ADGA will help. ADGA in the past, when the late Jim Wilson would assist you in that and give out the herd ID and information upon request. I haven't worked with the new personnel there yet. I'd try and see.

Bernice

4. susanne

that was helpfull. thank you very much. i will try to get some info there.
    susanne

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

ADGA isn't going to help you squat! Guess how I know this :)

I would also post this on the District and breed list that the goats were in, and also Nubian Talk. I don't know any longtime breeders in that area on this board, but Lost Nation on our Chamoisee site is in that area. http://forums.chamoisee.atypedigital.com/index.php Do a search for Lost nation, or look her up in the members area. Not sure if you have to join to skim through there.

The problem is CKS could mean anything, like Charlie and Kathy Something or Country Kitchen Sannens. Vicki

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

susanne you never showed up yesterday.
    debi

7. susanne

adga was so nice and contacted the breeder of my goats and i got an e-mail from her today. :p :p :p
    they are from county charm nubians in ohio.
    thanks for all your help, it ment a lot for me to find out.
    susanne

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I know where that herd is she's 15-20 mins from my house and friends with Lost Nation mentioned above.

9. Lazy Daze Farm

Lazy Daze Farm Active Member

Consider yourself lucky that ADGA gave you that info. I contacted them a couple months back, with the same question about 2 Nubians I have. They told me they could tell me if they were registered or not & that's it. Said they could not give out info on where they would have come from, who's tattoo id that is, or any breeder contact info- period. So even if I did find out if they were registered, it wouldn't do me any good if I can't find the original breeder. I had the application all filled out to join the ADGA, and I rethought after getting that reply.

10. susanne

realy sorry to hear that. maybe the goats where registerd with the international nubian goat club? than adga didn't had any info. yes i think i was very lucky when i got my goats because they are so beutiful and nice. and i was more lucky when a got a mail from the breeder. she told me that her goats where top ten in milk production in 1995. so i think i will have really nice milking does.
    susanne

11. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

It sounds like because of privacy policy that ADGA wouldn't give out the breeders info, but instead contacted the breeder and told them Suzanne was trying to get in touch with her.

12. susanne

yes, that is exactly what happend. i was lucky that the breeder contacted me.
    i did not get info from INBA. would be nice to get any responce though.
    susanne

13. UdderlySaanens

UdderlySaanens Member

Same thing here. My sister got a very nice Nubian doe with tattoos in her ears. I begged and pleaded with the ADGA for just basic info for just general records we keep. They wouldn't even tell me her birthdate or anything ! They did not offer to contact the breeder and have her/him contact me either. You are very lucky to have gotten anything.

My sister's doe's tattoo ID for a breeder was RVN1.
    The birthdate tattoo was D14 which I found odd because that would make her born in 1992 and make her 12 years old ! She does not look that old according to her teeth ! She is a nice doe though and my sister loves her just the same.

After all that ordeal with the ADGA over the Nubian, I bought a Saanen from a dairy in Indiana and her tattoos were AHV for the breeder/farm and 928 for the birthdate. That was odd it didn't have a letter in front of it but it didn't matter vecause I knew that the ADGA wasn't going to help me with it.

14. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

please don't think I'm trying to offend here, just making a point.

A friend of mine around 10 years ago tried and succeeded to register a doe that was sent to the stockyard. The doe had tattoos legible & the friend contacted the ADGA and apparently they gave her all the info she needed to get papers. She showed the doe at the same show the breeder attended. I don't think the breeder made a fuss about it because my friend was a youth exhibiter at the time, but it still must've been embarrasing. The doe in question was not what I'd want to see in the ring of mine and the breeder had sold the doe at a sale for that reason, I'm sure.

So maybe you can see what I'm getting at here - of course the best thing to do if you are to send goats to the stockyard is to obliterate the tattoos by tattooing over them.

15. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

Another point is that anyone buying goats from a stockyard or meat broker is probably going to pay $100 or much, much less. Registered purebred goats on my place rarely (more often never) leave for less than $100. Really nice quality goats on my place usually go for $200. I do not feel that I charge too much for the average person to afford. I even offer discounts for multiple purchases. This includes all the information you want - birthdates, tattoos in ears, legitimate papers, follow-up care, and a guarantee of the fair trade guidelines in the ADGA guidebook. I will even often purchase back a goat if you are unhappy with it in the future. I have done so once before and will do so again if need be to keep my good name.

I usually end up helping people out who buy my goats and giving them advice for countless hours - which more than pays for what I charge for my goats. I would have to bear the brunt of a serious loss if I take goats to the stockyard (which I have never had to do but if I do I will obliterate tattoos). I have had friends take their goats and only get $20 each for adult does.

I think if you want to know the bloodlines, DOB, care history, etc. of a goat, you might want to consider buying it from a breeder. If you buy from a stockyard, I just feel that you should not expect to be able to find out any information other than that it came from the stockyard.

Also, what the ADGA does I believe is perfect. Those of you who have tried to get info on a goat and did not succeed through the ADGA is probably because the goat the herd came from wanted it that way. But if the breeder wants to talk to you about that goat, then they have the option of doing so. I personally will obliterate tattoos should my goats ever go to the stockyard. Of course if someone who buys a goat off me wants to take it to the stockyard they probably will not obliterate tattoos.

Should someone ever try to contact me through the ADGA about a goat they bought at the stockyard, I don't know what I will do. I would probably elect to talk to them because I've also seen people purchase permanent champions at the stockyard (retirees possibly) and it would be nice to continue to breed them if they were just sold because of age. I would personally not sell nice old dams because of age, but if I was to sell a doe kid and then she turned out to be a nice milker but somehow ended up at the stockyard, I would not mind talking to the buyer. If the goat purchased from the stockyard was really nice and if the buyer was willing to pay me to release info to register the goat, I would probably oblige them. No harm in doing that. So there's several different aspects here to think about and I just wanted all of you to think about this issue in several different lights.

16. susanne

i had no intention to register my does. only wanted to know if they are healthy and okay to breed with them. i think there is nothing wrong to do it this way, it is the breeders decision if he/she wants a contact or not. in my case the breeder contacted me and seemed to be very happy that the girls are still alieve and together. there was nothing wrong with them. the breeder only wanted to reduce the herd. if you don't want to see your goats in somebody elses hand you should have the courage and bring them to a butcher or prossesor your self. at least i would do so. btw i paid $140 for each. i was looking a long time for nubians and couldn't fing any in my area. i didn't want to drive endless miles to get one. and for my homesteading didn't need show or high production animals. it was pure luck to get them and i'm very happy
    susanne :D